Help choosing eyepieces?

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Help choosing eyepieces?

Postby ClearSkies10 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:05 am

Hello everyone.
Last Christmas I got myself a Sky-Watcher Skyliner 250P Dobsonian telescope. Although I haven't gotten a lot of use out of it this year because of cloudy skies and no spare time. The telescope came with Super-MA 10mm and 25mm eyepieces, but I've been meaning to get a few more better ones. The 25 is decent enough, but I feel that the 10 isn't good enough. I was also considering getting 7-9mm and 14-17mm eyepieces. But there are so many and I'm very new to all this.

Basically I'd like some afforable (preferably under £100 altogether if that's possible) eyepieces that are good quality, and that I won't really NEED to replace. Good quality, but not absolute top-of-the-range, if you know what I mean. Not THAT good, I mean, this is only a hobby.

I'd very much like good, as crisp and clear as possible eyepieces suitable for viewing planets, nebulae, star clusters, asteroids, comets, etc.

I'd really appreciate some advice or recommendations from you guys. I'm pretty stuck and need advice from people who know about this kind of stuff. Thank you in advance!
ClearSkies10

Re: Help choosing eyepieces?

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:07 am

A quick and affordable starter option is to get a 2x Barlow, which will give you an effective 12.5mm when used with your 25mm.

You might also want then to consider an 18mm eyepiece that fills another gap, and which gives you 9mm when used with the Barlow. With cheaper eyepieces, it's often the case that a longer EP used with a Barlow gives better results than the equivalent shorter focus EP.

An alternative though would be to go for a longer eyepiece, something like a 32 or 40mm, as the wider field of view can be very effective for clusters and star fields - and also when using star-hopping to home in on your targets.

Getting effective higher magnifications with shorter focal length EPs is more dependent on sky quality, so short focal length EPs often just sit unused.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby ClearSkies10 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Thank you very much for the info and advice! I think I will go for a Barlow. :)

On a side note, are there any particular 2x Barlows you might recommend?
ClearSkies10

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:13 am

ClearSkies10 wrote:Thank you very much for the info and advice! I think I will go for a Barlow. :)

On a side note, are there any particular 2x Barlows you might recommend?

Can't recommend any particular Barlows, mine is a no-name one that I picked up in the US a long time ago.
Celestron do a 2x Barlow with a t-thread, so you can use it either as a standard Barlow or you can (with an appropriate t-ring for your camera) mount a dSLR body at the eyepiece for prime focus imaging.

For Dobsonians (being basically Newtonian scopes), prime focus imaging can be a problem because the prime image is usually inside the focuser, but using a Barlow lens can make imaging a possibility (not that I can guarantee this with your scope).
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby david48 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:46 pm

On the subject of eyepieces, sometimes excellent quality examples can be obtained very cheaply from old binoculars.

For instance, I have a Kellner eyepiece which I extracted years ago from a pair of almost "rubbish " 1960's 8 X 30 "Telstar" binoculars. I've found that this eyepiece, when fitted to a telescope, gives better images than quite a few more contemporary, and much more expensive, eyepieces do.

This shows that if you're prepared to experiment, not just "buy by price", you can get good quality without spending hundreds of pounds.
david48

Postby dave.b » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:23 pm

Baader Hyperion EPs are very good on their price bracket and have thread adapters that make them very versatile.

Also worth considering a zoom EP for its sheer versatility. They, like EPs have various price brackets. I had a Celestron £70 one for a long time before I finally upgraded it for a more expensive one.
dave.b

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:43 pm

Try Moonfish Group ones. They have a wide field of view.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Equipment Advice