Help Needed

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Help Needed

Postby SomKat23 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi There,

I am completely new to telescopes and astronomy and in need of advice. My husband has asked for a telescope for Christmas. I know he wants to be able to see the moon and planets with good detail if poss. We also both want to do some astrophotography at some stage. I have been looking at the Celestron Nexstar 90 SLT GOTO, but having read many article online I am now not too sure. :? My budget is about £350 max (if poss). I like the sound of the GOTO and to be honest I am aware that they can be a bit of pain to set up but my husband has a technology brain and is a total geek plus a perfectionist, it wont take him long to figure out. ;)

Any advice on what scope to get is highly appreciated.

Thanks
SomKat23

Re: Help Needed

Postby dave.b » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:50 pm

Get the 102SLT. Another recent poster reported that they are on special offer at Cosco. Try searching the forum with that model id.

However, this type of scope setup is not suitable for DSLR photography (except for the moon). You can do some webcam imaging with it. Long exposure work requires an equatorial mount and that's a lot more money.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:33 pm

dave.b wrote:Get the 102SLT. Another recent poster reported that they are on special offer at Cosco. Try searching the forum with that model id.

However, this type of scope setup is not suitable for DSLR photography (except for the moon). You can do some webcam imaging with it. Long exposure work requires an equatorial mount and that's a lot more money.

Dave B.

I'd say it's not quite as clear cut as that - the scope and mount should be OK for taking images of star fields and brighter DSOs with it, as exposures of up to 30 seconds can be taken and stacked.

For SomKat - The basic problem is that the type of mount that the SLT comes with isn't ideal for really long exposures; it's fine for visual use, but long exposures get a 'rotation' of the image as the scope tracks across the sky.

'Stacking' is where you take a series of short exposure images (which won't show the rotation) and you can then add them together using software to bring out the level of detail that you would expect to see with a longer exposure.

However, the telescope itself is good, and it should be easily possible to mount it on a more suitable mount in the future if you want to go that way.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:54 pm

I've found it is possible to capture some DSOs without driving the mount at all. OK, you cannot "snap" faint galaxies but there's loads of DSOs like the Pleiades, Beehive and Orion Great Nebula. In fact, I find so many bright DSOs to snap, I just don't have time to do the fainter ones. Before I had a DSLR, I even hand-held a compact digital camera to a low power eyepiece.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Equipment Advice