help

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

help

Postby crazy about stars » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi ya
I am quite new to this hobbyand I am not that sure on what is the best and easy way of lerning the consteltations

help

crazy about stars[;)]

crazy about stars

RE: help

Postby andrewmott » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:06 pm

simply put - get out there! there is no better way of learning the constellations than to spend some time under them. Get a skychart from online (there are plenty of free sites to do this on) or from Sky at night magazine, and spend an evening under the stars. Within a month, you'll be able to recognize several [:)]

Andrew
andrewmott

Postby davsiste » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:23 pm

First I believe the sky at night are still offerng a subscription special at 6 issues for a pound, check out the subscriptions page on the web.
Next DO NOT spend any money yet, do as the previous person advised, and in fact many lifelong amateurs happily simply sit in a deckchair and view.
Download all the free sky charts you like, there are many sites.
Don't buy a planesphere, try one first, many people dislike them, I do.
DON'T buy a scope or binoculars without knowing what to buy, JOIN a club.

Regards
davsiste

Postby uea74 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:30 pm

For learning the constellations a book and your eyes.

To see some of the brighter things in the constellations and to pick out the main stars use binoculars. Be aware that constellations are bigger then the field of view of binoculars so binoculars will pick out stars but not the constellation as a whole.
uea74

Postby jackatron » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Welcome To Your New Hobby I Would Like To Say...

And Yeah Simple Thing Just Get Out There, If You Happen To Have Any Binoculars Lying Around For The Moment They Will Do, Dont Go Buying A New 10x50 Pair Until Your Ready, Look On The Internet For Constellation Maps, Perhaps Buy Yourself A Planisphere Off Amazon And Just Learn Where The Contellations Are...

What Helped Me Learn Was I Tried To Imagine Little Lines Drawing Up The Constellations And Understanding What They Are Supposed To Look Like! [:D]

J
jackatron

Return to Equipment Advice