Help with buying giant binoculars

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

Help with buying giant binoculars

Postby merl1nxlm » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:23 pm

[b]Could any one help me with some advice regarding buying some giant binoculars, I have two makes to decide from.
1: Revalation 25X100 giant binoculars.
2: Celestron SkyMaster 20X80 binoculars.
Regarding the [/b][b]Revalation 25X100 giant binoculars, they have been reviewd in a older issue of the Sky at Night magazine but I missed that issue. Could some one please post the out come of their review. Is there much difference with their performance and their quality. Any advice would be very appriciaed.[8|] [/b]
merl1nxlm

RE: Help with buying giant binoculars

Postby oldtimer » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:36 pm

hi there, not sure about the 'revelation' ones but i use the skymaster 25x100
although heavy i find them excellent when mounted on a tripod.the image clarity is superb.i use them a lot.i also have used the celestron 20x80 another superb binocular.
anyways all the best to you,
rgds andy.
p.s. have you looked at the helios 'stellar' range the 11x80's are fantastic.
oldtimer

Postby mark22c » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:26 pm

i think you'll find the revelation and the skymaster 25x100's are in fact the same only "badged" slightly diferantly.
i have the revelation 25x100's at £185 new and allthough reasonably happy with them for the price i wouldnt go as far as saying there superb in anyway,they show a lot of CA and edge sharpness deteriorates fom 50% out and collimation can be an issue, these are "cheap" for what they are after all.
you'll also find that there ridiculously large and heavy and you'll nead to spend at least the same as the bins on a mount for them to be able to use them, total cost £360-£400 unless you can find something second hand or build a pmount yourself... just so you know what your letting yourself in for with giant bins. id rather spend £300-£400 on a good quality smaller bin and lighter mount

regards mark
mark22c

Postby sftonkin » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:43 am

I wouldn't buy either; there are binoculars at a similar price which are optically and mechanically superior. They also happen to be smaller, but don't be suckered by size -- as with other things, quality is preferable to size every time.
sftonkin

Postby skye at night » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:53 pm

Hello..

I am absolutely no binocular expert, but I know when I hear good advice and I know when I see quality...

I am sure sftonkin is giving top advice and if I were buying I would ask his opinion.

On the quality side... There is a company '`strathspey' i think... not too!!! far away from me right now in Aviemore (home of scottish skiing) which produces and sells some really solid looking and by the sound of it optically excellent big bins.. They are even well clued up on astronomical uses from what I hear.

Might be worth a look as I am certain they are good value.

Steve

skye at night

Postby sftonkin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:43 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the endorsement![;)]

[quote]ORIGINAL: skye at night
There is a company '`strathspey' i think... not too!!! far away from me right now in Aviemore (home of scottish skiing) which produces and sells some really solid looking and by the sound of it optically excellent big bins..
[/quote]

[url=http://www.strathspey.co.uk]Strathspey[/url] is well worth a look if you are on a budget, the stuff they have is extremely good value for money (we use one of their 10x50s in the astronomy club I run at school), but it is not "optically excellent" -- merely "optically good". I also have their [i]10x50 Marine[/i] as my "car and star party" binocular -- it is on a par with my [i]Opticron 10x42 BGA[/i] with respect to what I can see with it, but it is a little soft at the edges, is significantly cheaper than the Opticron, but is extremely robust (military spec). Also, John Burns, the guy who runs Strathspey, is one of the "good guys" amongst astro suppliers: he is very approachable and his customer service is excellent; IMNSVHO he is one of those who deserves support.
sftonkin

Postby philip pugh » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:50 pm

I have Helios Stellar 15x70. They have a lot of distortion at the edge of the field of view but are otherwise quite sound.

I've tried using a long focal length eyepiece and focal reducer with my 127mm Maksutov and the set-up works quite well as an alternative to big bins but you don't get to use both eyes.

You can get separate binoviewers for telescopes but they're not cheap.
philip pugh

Return to First Light and Group Test