Help with Perseus Teelscope

Share practical advice and tips on making your own kit

Help with Perseus Teelscope

Postby LunaAstronomical » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:26 pm

Hello,

Newcastle upon Tyne Astronomical Society recently acquired a Grubb Parsons "Perseus" 225 mmm Cassegrain from a school that was about to be demolished.

[url=http://www.newcastleastronomical.co.uk/images/Perseus01.jpg]Newcastle Astronomical Society Perseus Telescope[/url]

The telescope dates from 1984 and appears to be in fairly good condition but is missing the hand controller to start and stop the drives.

Does anyone have any information - or might know where we can obtain some information - so that we can fashion a replacement controller?

Thanks
David Hughes
Newcastle upon Tyne Astronomical Society
http://www.newcastleastronomical.co.uk
LunaAstronomical

RE: Help with Perseus Teelscope

Postby brianb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:16 pm

[quote]The telescope dates from 1984 and appears to be in fairly good condition but is missing the hand controller to start and stop the drives. [/quote]
If it's that old it's most likely just microswitches - if I'm right then you should be able to fabricate a replacement and wire it by trial & error.

But I bet someone somewhere will have a wiring diagram.
brianb

Postby psychobilly » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Like yourself I have spent a few hour trawling the internet but to no avail...but what a prestigous manufacturer!

Any removable panels so you can se the motor and back of the connector? As BrianB suggested its unlikey to be a complicated setup for the controller..

Billy...

psychobilly

Postby theoyork » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi,

does the motor run or does the controller also power the motor? The fork mount looks very similar to 1980s Celestron mounts so the RA motor may be a synchronous AC one, in which case a variable frequency (~5% of 50Hz) 12V AC supply is probably what you need. Would have to have a look at the motor first though. I don't know about the Dec motor, maybe DC servo. Any pictures of the wiring and motors would be helpful.

The other possibility is they are stepper motors, in which case you need a stepper driver circuit. Fairly cheap accurate ones can be bought.

Theo
theoyork

Return to Telescope Making