help with rebuild

Share practical advice and tips on making your own kit

help with rebuild

Postby demon barber » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi all, was wondering if there are any uk based optical mirror suppliers? I,ve been given an unwanted telescope,think its a seben 1400/150 yuk! i,ve got new barlow and new plossl,s (celestron) but the mirror looks naff and i am unable to get a sharp focus so rather than throw it out ,i am wondering if i can buy better quality primary and secondary mirror and end up with a usable scope. i,ve recently retired and have got time on my hands so am hoping to resurrect and recycle this unloved object any help and opinions greatfully accepted regards and good viewing Mike. ps its cloudy and threatening rain in Newcastle so no viewing here tonight!!![:'(]
demon barber

RE: help with rebuild

Postby brianb » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Orion Optics UK
brianb

Postby astro_baby » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:30 pm

I'd suggest the cost of new mirrors wouldnt be worth it for the scope - would probably be cheaper and easier to just buy something else.
astro_baby

Postby demon barber » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi astro-baby your probably right just hate to see anything go to waste,any idea how much i,m looking at, brianb suggested orion optics as a source cant seem to find right info on site thanks mike
demon barber

Postby astro_baby » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:20 pm

Orion would most likely need a call on this - I dont think from memory their site has details on mirrors.

You might also want to call [url=http://www.beaconhilltelescopes.cwc.net/]http://www.beaconhilltelescopes.cwc.net/[/url]

Theres also

[url=http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php?XTCsid=ea6e4a65faf700583dcf0eb959f876a8&keywords=mirror]http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php?XTCsid=ea6e4a65faf700583dcf0eb959f876a8&keywords=mirror[/url]

If you look at the teleskop express page at the bottom there are some mirror kits there - cost would be about 200 Euros so probably about £200 at todays exchange.

Dont forget you may have to mess about to get a fit and the secondary could be quite hairy to do depending on how the Seben is assembled and at the end of it you probably still have a naff focuser, mount, finder etc.

When alls said and done you'd probably be better off waiting for something like a Sky-Watcher 150 on an EQ3-2 come up for sale. Sorry if that sounds harsh.
astro_baby

Postby demon barber » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:50 pm

Sorry for delay in replying many thanks for the contacts, your comments reflect reallity,just dont like to give up on a challenge is how i see it, i,ll let you knowhow i get on ,good viewing regards Mike[:)]
demon barber

Postby uea74 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:03 pm

Galvoptics in Essex also do mirrors.

Quick edit:

Also Oldham-optical.co.uk
uea74

Postby lukeskywatcher » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:23 pm

I'm going to have to agree with Astro_baby. The cost of replacing mirrors could be quite high and there is no garauntee that the rest of the scopes optics are sound. I admire your will to salvage this scope and in these days of recession.................we all have to watch the pennies. But for the same price as new mirrors you could have a new scope.

No point in flogging a dead horse.

Think how you will feel if you get the mirrors and the scope is still sub standard. You will be out of pocket and without a scope.
lukeskywatcher

Postby uea74 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:16 pm

I may be wrong but when I looked at Orion Optics I didn't think they did mirrors. Did BrianB mean oldham optical? They do a range of mirrors. Have a loot at the price list tosee what they do as the main pages describe the mirror sets.

Also you say that your mirror looks naf. Unless it is pitted, scratched or other physical damage does it just need resilvering?

If the diameter is just 150 (I think that is what your description means) then a small mirror should be fairly inexpensive.
uea74

Postby astro_baby » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:33 pm

Orion Optics do mirrors to spec - I think they'd be quite pricey though.
astro_baby

Next

Return to Telescope Making