Hi Everyone

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Hi Everyone

Postby Seko » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi All,

I have recently retired, and have been meaning to join an astronomical group for some time.

My name is Roger, and I live in Birmingham, but spend a lot of my time in N.Wales, and am looking to get more acquainted with astronomy. So I am looking to get my first instrument, so much choice, so much advice, but I am thinking of getting a good pair of binoculars initially.

Regards.

Roger
Seko

Re: Hi Everyone

Postby Aratus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Hello Roger

Welcome

A pair of binoculars is a good way to start. Big lenses without massive magnification is best for astronomical use. I have a 15 x 70 and they give good bright view of the Milky Way, star clusters and comets. You can get 20 x 80 or 12 x 70 for larger magnification or wider views respectively. Even larger ones can be obtained but they ought to be tripod mounted. The magnification will be too large to see some objects well, but smaller objects will be seen better. Any questions?, just ask. There is plenty of experience here and a good range of views.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Introductions