Hi from newbie in Wigan

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

RE: Hi from newbie in Wigan

Postby mar1e » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:26 pm

the weather man needs to be sacked if he predicts the wrong weather!!! lol
mar1e

Postby jackatron » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:50 am

Welcome To Astronomy Marie, Theres Lots Of Cool Stuff Happening In the Sky At The Moment. Think Of It As a Welcome! [:D]

Im Yearning For Clear Nights At The Moment, Cloudy Skys For About 2 Weeks Straight In Northampton! :O The Only 1 Clear Night On Thursday... I Was Workingg! [:(] Todays Pretty Nice, Lets Hope Its Clear Tonight!! [:D]

J
jackatron

clouds...

Postby mar1e » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 am

Hi, the sky hasn't been that great here in Wigan either. Also why is it that when there is something great to look at on a given night, the sky is always cloudy? lol
mar1e

Postby sinbad40 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:56 am

Hi Mar1e, I am just over in Haydock so I know about the cloud. Dont know much about the ETX80, but there are many sites to look around for info. [url=http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html]http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html[/url] i have used many times in the past
sinbad40

Postby mar1e » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi, yep, weather pretty grim in the north west.
thanks for the web info, much appreciated
mar1e

Postby voyager » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Welcome! In which part of Wigan are you from? (I'm in Poolstock, near Scotsman's Flash.)

Louise.
voyager

Postby mar1e » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi, I'm in Hindley Green. I'm not very familiar with poolstock area though so can't place where you are exactly

Marie
mar1e

Postby uea74 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:03 pm

Best to do as you appear to and count all the ETX refractors as a fair starter scope. As you have also said easy to set up, and ideal as a grab and go scope. Better still if you have the car adaptor bits for it.

As to what it is capable of a few of the brighter galaxies and nebula but best I suspect at clusters (Open and Globular), double stars and planets well some of them. The ETX refractors all seem to be F/5 so will have a decent field.

The objective lens isn't that great and I would say 100x is all you could reasonably expect, 4mm EP. You may get better magnification but not that often I fear.

As an aside I see that TMB have a new range of planetery EPs out (£55) that get pretty small so a 3mm one may be a possibility if you want to try for 133x. Something in that area may be useful for Saturn if/when it get high enough. The warning here is that the scope may not take it well enough to be worthwhile.

Unfortunately the scope needs small EP's to get any magnification.

No idea what books you have nor how you approach astronomy. Do you have an idea of what to look at, as work through the Messiers, do you go through everything in a constellation then move on. Randomish chance?
uea74

Postby mar1e » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:36 pm

hi, thanks for the info, as to my viewing I tend to randomly hop & use the autostar's "tonights best" function, but I do look for objects manually too. Usually star clusters, planets and nebulae. I think I'll have to get a large scope soon as I seem to be more interested in planets & deep sky objects, but I can still keep my etx for travelling
mar1e

Postby uea74 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Most of the planets need magnification, although they tend to be "bright".
Jupiter is easiest as 60-80 will do, Saturn needs 120, Mars 200x (ish).
Venus I guess 120 but not a lot to see usually.

DSO's are often "bigger" but much dimmer, so again a big objective.
Problem is "big objective", if you had problems with a 130P you are looking at something around 150-200mm to have a fair chance with DSO's.

Planets usually need something that gives contrast - refractor, DSO's need light gathering - reflectors. So thinking of planets and DSO's together tends to be a bit mutually exclusive.

See how the 80 handles Saturn, if OK then use it for planets and think about DSO seperately.
uea74

Previous

Return to Introductions