Hi from newbie in Wigan

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Hi from newbie in Wigan

Postby mar1e » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi I'm Marie, age 37 and relatively new to astronomy & new to the forum.
I use a (recently purchased) Meade ETX80 scope & I also use 10x50 bins. I previously owned a skywatcher 130p which I loved but it was too heavy for me so it never came out to play as much as my ETX now does!!
I've noticed that there are mixed views on the ETX80, including what you can and can't see through it and would be really grateful if anyone has any tips on how to get the best out of my new scope. thanks, Marie
mar1e

RE: Hi from newbie in Wigan

Postby _ad » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi Marie, welcome. I've just joined and am the proud owner of a new...Sky-Watcher 130P! I'm not a car owner and run my own business so I'm used to carrying stuff over distance and the scope just about fits into my big rucksack :-)
I must say it's tempting to leave the counterweight at home and use a nearby rock. I'm hoping I'll actually get to use it tonight for the first time.
_ad

Postby davsiste » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:06 pm

The problem isn't so much with the scope it is the misleading adverts by suppliers that people fall for expecting to buy what is in fact a cheap scope and expect to see what they look at in magazines, full detailed colour images of Mars filling the eyepiece say.

Also they buy the most powerful eyepiece they can AND use a barlow. NO.

What you have there Galileo Galilei would have torn off your arm for, remember that.

As a scope for the moon, travel on holiday in the UK, grab and go and general observations it is fine, good in fact, just don't expect too much.

Just remember, what your scope cost, some of us spend on one eyepiece.

There are people out there who spend thousands and are still upset when they can not see the detail on Neptune!

My advice, join a local club

Regards
davsiste

Postby davsiste » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:06 pm

[quote]I must say it's tempting to leave the counterweight at home and use a nearby rock[/quote]

Then why don't you.

When I was on holiday in Devon two years ago, before moving back here from Scotland, there was a chap with his girlfriend camping, small tent and motorbike.

He took out an EQ1 (sheesh, I thought) and 80mm scope, no weights, instead, brilliant, he filled a plastic bag with stones and attached the bag to the bar with duck tape, he said "that saves weight".

He had also left the inner lower legs at home so he sat on the ground or knelt, shows what you can do, allowing him to travel light and still enjoy his hobby away from home.

CLEVER.
davsiste

Postby _ad » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:23 pm

You should be careful; what if I suggest other things such as replacing the control cables with those red sweety laces?

Mmm, astronomy. Delicious.
_ad

Postby brian jones » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:33 pm

Welcome to the forum marie. I've noticed you're saying hi to all us newbies so I thought I'd better say 'Hi' back.

Hope you have fun learning this fantastic hobby and many clear nights with your ETX80...[:)]
brian jones

Postby mar1e » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:40 pm

thanks for saying hello! I think you will be as impressed with the explorer 130p as I was. The first thing I viewed through mine (and the first time looking through any telescope) was Jupiter back in September 2009 and I was blown away by the fact I could see an image of jupiter and it's stripes clearly and with my own eyes!!

I know what you mean about the counterweight though lol
mar1e

Postby mar1e » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi, I know what you mean about misleading adverts for scopes. They sometimes make it sound like you will see images just like the hubble space telescope!! Then there are those friends and family who do expect to see hubble pictures and say "is that it" when looking through your scope! lol I've had this response on more than one occasion...
To be honest I had lower expectations of the scope so I was pleasantly surprised when I viewed the andromeda galaxy When I'm more experienced I will probably buy a more expensive and larger aperture scope and probably use the ETX for travelling. It's a good beginners scope though
mar1e

Postby mar1e » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:56 pm

we have frequent cloudy nights here in wigan - One night I was setting everything up and the sky was clear and by the time I was ready to explore the heavens, the sky had clouded over...
mar1e

Postby _ad » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:53 pm

I suffered that yesterday around midnight. Saw some significant patches of sky (which the weather man had promised around that time) but by the time I got to the [url="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.000443,-0.925561&num=1&t=h&sll=51.004629,-0.93394&sspn=0.028089,0.06403&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.000462,-0.924552&spn=0.002356,0.004823&z=18"]Heath[/url] it was completely covered again. Was actually quite nice just lying under the sky (cloud?) with the thermos though! My friend was less impressed, but then he had to get up in the morning. Roll on Sunday night though -weather man says very clear skies.
_ad

Next

Return to Introductions