Hi!

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Hi!

Postby Ric » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Hello all!

Ric from the UK near Spalding, Lincs. I'm situated a little outside of town close to a nature reserve to escape some of the light pollution.

Having reawakend a passion for the night sky my wife purchased a Bresser Messier NT150L for my Birthday which has been incredible. Loving the deep sky objects and struggling to keep away from the Orion Nebula. Need to find more, completely addicted.

I've started with the EXOS1-EQ4 mount as I wanted to get some experience locating objects the manual way and better familiarise myself with the constellations. Star hopping has been pretty successful so far although M81 has proved elusive.

Local astronomy clubs are a bit of treck so you might see me here often! :twisted:
Ric

Re: Hi!

Postby EIZO » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Download skyportal on your phone from Celestron
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, William Optics Binoviewers, many 2" eyepieces. Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, 14-24, 70-200, Sigma 150-600 Sport, Gitzo tripods
EIZO

Postby Ric » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Thank you, I'll take a look.
Ric

Postby Aratus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:33 pm

Ric wrote:Hello all!

Ric from the UK near Spalding, Lincs. I'm situated a little outside of town close to a nature reserve to :D escape some of the light pollution.

Having reawakend a passion for the night sky my wife purchased a Bresser Messier NT150L for my Birthday which has been incredible. Loving the deep sky objects and struggling to keep away from the Orion Nebula. Need to find more, completely addicted.

I've started with the EXOS1-EQ4 mount as I wanted to get some experience locating objects the manual way and better familiarise myself with the constellations. Star hopping has been pretty successful so far although M81 has proved elusive.

Local astronomy clubs are a bit of treck so you might see me here often! :twisted:

Hello Ric - Welcome to a fellow Lincolnshire 'yellowbelly' :D

Which objects have you been looking at?

The 'Great Bear galaxies' are a little hard to locate manually. For M81/82 with binoculars I look at the Alkaid to Alcor distance at the end of the tail/handle and carry on 4 times the distance in a straight line. Once you have it in binoculars, you can more easily visualise it for a telescope.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Ric » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Brilliant, I'll give it a go!

Andromeda and the Orion Nebula have been firm favourites with the family and they've been easy to locate, I'm currently gearing up for some moon viewing, just waiting on my filter to arrive.

M81 / 82 continue to challenge, presumably these are much smaller than Andromeda?

I'll also look to get hold of a 32mm EP, presently using 26mm, quite a narrow view by the feel of it.
Ric

Postby EIZO » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Can I suggest you

1. Join a local Astronomy club
2. Look at getting a Red dot finder I much prefer them to the finder scope

I use Sky Portal, nice software though I hate and loath EQ mounts

Oh and welcome
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, William Optics Binoviewers, many 2" eyepieces. Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, 14-24, 70-200, Sigma 150-600 Sport, Gitzo tripods
EIZO

Return to Introductions