Hi & welcome to all the 'newbies'

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Hi & welcome to all the 'newbies'

Postby northerncross » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:00 pm

Hi and welcome to all the 'newbies' who have joined the forum over the past couple of weeks or so.

Everyone is quite correct in saying that we're quite a freindly bunch, and that the more experienced skywatchers always seem ready & willing to offer to us novices the benefit of that experience with their opinions and advice.

And how exiciting to join this forum at such an early stage and whilst it is still in it's infancy - we can watch and probably influence it's development.

Anyway, and apologies to those who have read this elsewhere in the forum, I'm in Leicester - about 3 miles from the 'Space Centre' - and when the clouds don't spoil the night sky, you can bet that the light pollution will!! Rocks and hard places, eh!

Regards
Ali
northerncross

RE: Hi & welcome to all the 'newbies'

Postby big dipper » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:43 pm

Welcome Ali. You're right about us influencing the development of this site as Admin (Kirsty) is very keen to take on board new ideas for improving this site. This 'Introductions' section is a good example. Within a day of both myself & Dave (gammalog) suggesting it, Kirsty arranged for it to be set up. She had been following Dave's welcome thread for newbies & was in mind to set it up anyway. I'm sure any other ideas will be well received. Certainly Kirsty was pleased when I suggested using the calendar here to publicise astronomical evbents (e.g. close planetary/moon encounters, meteor showers etc). Think I've got me a job here now each month for life! [:D]

Again, welcome!
big dipper

Postby jsc248 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:06 pm

Hi Ali,
Welcome to the forum. I envy your closeness to the space center, I live in Liverpool. Wouldn't mind a trip down there though. Have you been? and is it worth the journey?
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby northerncross » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:53 pm

Hi there jsc248,

Appologies for not replying sooner, but I've only just come across your 'post' (don't know how I managed to miss it as I tend to trawl through all the new posts on aa daily basis).

Anyway, in reply - yes, I have been to the space centre, and I would highly recommend it (but, having said that, and whilst I thought it was brilliant, I was, at that time (and to some extent still am) very very 'green' when it comes to astronomy, and by comparison, those with a lot more knowledge and expereince might find it a little on the 'basic' side) - nevertheless, still worth a visit. There are some excellant exhibits & 'hands-on' stuff. For anyone considering a visit, I would advise that you take a packed lunch (usual OTT prices at these sort of venues), don't visit during school holidays, and plan a full day's visit.
Also, I extend an offer to all members of this forum, to drop in for a cuppa if/when you come to Leicester, as anyone coming of the M1/M69 at junction 21 will have to pass within a stone's throw of where I live, en-route to the Space Centre.

Regards
Ali
northerncross

Postby jsc248 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:23 pm

Hi Ali,
Many thanks for the kind info and for the invite for tea. If and when I do veture down here I'll let you know.
John jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Return to Introductions