How do I get the most out of my telescope?

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

How do I get the most out of my telescope?

Postby mrjonathanbrown » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:54 am

Hi guy's I recently purchased a Skywatcher Heritage 114P Virtuoso.

Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x20 & x50
Highest Practical Power (Potential): x228
Diameter of Primary Mirror: 114mm
Parabolic primary mirror
Telescope Focal Length: 500mm (f/4.38)
Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

I recently also purchased a x2 Barlow lens. I've viewed Saturn & Jupiter and well there just dots on the eyepiece even with the barlow lens attached to a 10mm eyepiece - Do I need a stronger eyepiece?
mrjonathanbrown

Re: How do I get the most out of my telescope?

Postby dave.b » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:20 pm

The short focal length of this telescope best suits wide field low magnification use as opposed to narrow field high magnification work.

To get the x228 magnification you'd need an eye piece with 2mm focal length, but this will only produce an exit pupil that is 0.5mm in diameter, which is unusable. Conversely to get an exit pupil that is a modest 3mm in diameter a 13mm eye piece should be used, but this will only result in a x38 magnification.

Sorry! But then there isn't a single telescope for all applications.

Regards
Dave B.
dave.b

Postby mrjonathanbrown » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:38 pm

cheers for getting in touch mate, should I just then stay away from eyepieces that are less than 13mm?
Oh I'm hoping you could also help me on another matter I'm looking for a tripod for this telescope do you have any suggestions I posted something gently on this forum but had no replies. If not, not to worry.

Thanks again
mrjonathanbrown

Postby dave.b » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:57 pm

Pretty much, yes. An exit pupil less than about 5mm is not fully illuminating the macular, which is the central high resolution part of the retina. So you end up seeing less for increasing the magnification much beyond this point. May be you noticed this when switching between your eyepieces?

As for tripods, didn't we establish that the Virtuoso has a camera tripod thread mount underneath?

Regards
Dave B.
dave.b

Postby dave.b » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:13 pm

I just spotted this at Telescope Outlet http://telescopeoutlet.co.uk/index.php/skymax90eq1.html. It's longish focal length make it much better suited to planetary use and it comes with a basic tripod and mount too.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby mrjonathanbrown » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:49 pm

cheers for spotting this one, I haven't yet decided what to do with my current telescope literally just got the thing (had one a few year ago skylux 70/700 gave better views of planets) anyways I want to get a chance of seeing the deep sky with the telescope and see what sort of details i can get out that -
Il give it a chance and see what it can do with the deep sky objects like nebulas etc. (sorry if I'm not on point with the astronomy chat) With my old telescope I would be able to see some stars at giant gasses in rich colours. il give the scope a chance still need to upgrade the lenses. Im not to fussed about the planets like you said you can't have it all.. if its not suited for planetary viewing i can live with that il see what details I can get out of the deeper objects.
mrjonathanbrown

Postby andrewtilling » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:13 pm

mrjonathanbrown
I was just given this telescope as a gift and, while I've had some success (I saw the rings of saturn for the first time - wow) I too am wondering how to get the best out of the HERITAGE-114P VIRTUOSO.

How did you do? Any recommendations?
I've gone as far as buying a 2x barlow so far, but found I had to unscrew the optics to get a deep enough focal range to see anything clearly.
andrewtilling

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:38 pm

The basic question needs a book to answer. I would consider getting a 32mm Plossl. That will give you great views of deep sky objects.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Equipment Advice