How low can you get?

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Re: How low can you get?

Postby Aratus » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:21 pm

I've a feeling that the side issue of how we individually spend our money on this hobby ought really to be dropped now. I think more 'heat' rather than 'light' is likely if we continue . :!: ;)

Anyhow my 2" eyepiece has arrived. Unfortunately my supplier decided to break up the order since they weren't both ready for shipping, so the diagonal is still in transit. Normally I thank them for not holding items back, but in this instance one is no good without the other. They could have saved themselves some money in postage. :cry: The eyepiece is a huge, heavy beast. I'm not sure it will fit on my current eyepiece shelf. As soon as the diagonal arrives, and rain clouds go away I'll try it out. I'll be sure to post up a report here when I do.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby dave.b » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:06 am

Which EP did you buy?
dave.b

Postby Aratus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:25 pm

Sky-Watcher SWA 70°- 32mm eyepiece and a Sky-Watcher 2" Di-Electric Star Diagonal. From what I can tell they should work fine with my SCT.

Unfortunately the diagonal hasn't arrived yet. A shame because it is looking clear tonight, and it would have made an interesting time to review it. I might try attaching it to the visual back with an extension tube, and observing something fairly low down!! Then again I may just wait. :D
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

How low can you get?

Postby Aratus » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:07 am

I now have my 32mm 2" eyepiece. :D A brief break in the cloud at about 5pm this evening enabled me to view the moon in a fairly blue sky. Nevertheless the sight was breath-taking. It was a very large, bright, sharp panoramic image of a 60% moon. Although the moon fitted well inside the field of view it actually seemed larger to look at. The detail on the surface was very high with rilles, crater terracing, and central peaks all over the disk. I could tell that the focussing degraded towards the edge of the view, but that tended to be on the periphary of my vision anyway. An hour later it clouded over, before it got dark and I could try it out on some star clusters etc. :( Another time.

All my shelves are geared up towards 1.25" eyepieces, so I'm going to have to either build a new shelf holder or enlarge the holes of the one I've got.

It should be pointed out that the diagonal needs something attached to the visual back of the telescope for it to slot into. It never occurred to me. Fortunately I had a 2" holder for a camera attachment which will do the job. Anyone buying a 2" diagonal to replace a 1.25" will have to buy an 2" adapter to screw into the visual back replacing the 1.25" adapter that normally comes with the telescope..
Aratus

Previous

Return to Equipment Advice