How old is the Universe? Melvyn Bragg discusses on R4

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

How old is the Universe? Melvyn Bragg discusses on R4

Postby Graham Southorn » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:43 am

[b]Melvyn Bragg and his guests discuss the age of the Universe[/b]

Listen [url=http://bbc.in/haEnqv]here[/url] on iPlayer (please note: link will eventually expire)

Since the 18th century, when scientists first realised that the Universe had existed for more than a few thousand years, cosmologists have debated its likely age. The discovery that the Universe was expanding allowed the first informed estimates of its age to be made by the great astronomer Edwin Hubble in the early decades of the twentieth century. Hubble's estimate of the rate at which the Universe is expanding, the so-called Hubble Constant, has been progressively improved.

Today cosmologists have a variety of other methods for ageing the Universe, most recently the detailed measurements of cosmic microwave background radiation - the afterglow of the Big Bang - made in the last decade. And all these methods seem to agree on one thing: the Universe has existed for around 13.75 billion years.

With:

Martin Rees
Astronomer Royal and Emeritus Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics at the University of Cambridge

Carolin Crawford
Member of the Institute of Astronomy and Fellow of Emmanuel College at the University of Cambridge

Carlos Frenk
Director of the Institute for Computational Cosmology at the University of Durham
Graham Southorn

RE: How old is the Universe? Melvyn Bragg discusses on R4

Postby brianb » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 am

Heard this "live" yesterday am - very good programme. (How sad, listening to R4!)
brianb

Postby philip pugh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:50 am

Well I know it must be at least 55 years old because it was here when I was born. Assuming that reality did exist before I was born and not just came into existence along with me, I'd say evidence does suggest around 13 700 million years. However, if there have been any large variations in the speed of light over they years (and there's nothing yet to suggest there has been) this figure could be out.

Alternatively, reality could be a total illusion and our memories of life prior to the creation of the universe were created along with us and the universe could only be a few days old.

Another theory is that reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol.
philip pugh

Postby sftonkin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:30 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: brianb

Heard this "live" yesterday am - very good programme. (How sad, listening to R4!)
[/quote]

I record "In our Time" as a matter of course. It is far and away the most consistently intelligent programme on Radio or TV. I find myself grabbed even by subjects that I think don't interest me.
sftonkin

Postby worcspaul » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:40 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: Philip Pugh

... However, if there have been any large variations in the speed of light over they years (and there's nothing yet to suggest there has been) this figure could be out.

[/quote]

"speed of light through a vacuum" to be more precise [:)] Light can, apparently, be made to travel a LOT slower than that: [url=http://www.jupiterscientific.org/sciinfo/slowlight.html]See here[/url]
worcspaul

Are you ready?

Postby sady » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Can not live without the products, you are ready to complete it? If you do not log HTTP: / / HIMISHOP.COM
sady

Are you ready?

Postby sady » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Can not live without the products, you are ready to complete it? If you do not log HTTP: / / HIMISHOP.COM
sady

Return to General