i'm i losing it?? triangle star formation

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

i'm i losing it?? triangle star formation

Postby thebest » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:36 am

On the way home today (08 july 2010) at 22:50~ i glanced (naked eye) at the sky like i always do..i spotted a beautiful formation of brilliant white stars (as bright as Venus) about the size of my thumb at arms length. i stopped and looked at them in awe..was wondering that this was a bit unusual and it wasn't a constellation.
Anyway as i was trying to make sense of it they bloody faded away in around 5 secs...they were definitely stationary..i convinced myself that they disappeared or cloaked cos i was looking at em! : )

Sooooo, back to the world of reality and boredom..can someone pls explain before i start sculpturing mountains with my mashed potatoes.

Location Sunny Southampton.

[image]http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/6484/trianglem.jpg[/image]
thebest

RE: i'm i losing it?? triangle star formation

Postby les » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:50 am

HI thebest,
If it were a single object Id say it was a Iridium satellite,which somtimes appear as bright as magnited -8,for a few seconds.I dont know if its significant but the arrow on your map points to Arcturus,so I was thinking a Iridium may of passed close to that star. However I checked your location at that time with my Starry Night Pro but no Iridiums showed up in that part of the sky at the time.Iridium 46 crossed Coma Bernices(I dont know how bright) at 22:57 but thats all.Maybe you did see a UFO so get the mash potatoes [:D]!
Regards and clear skies Les.
les

Postby keithmorris » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:30 am

I have seen something similar on several occasions. Sometimes 3, 5 and even 7. Usually around during twilight or within an hour after sunset. On one occasion I was looking at M57 at approx 100x magnification and they went right through my field of vision. They definitely had a snow flake shape to them. My first thought was a top secret stealth aircraft being tested. There are normally tracking lights on these so ground observers can report the position to see if they are indeed radar invisible. However after talking to a good friend of mine who is a RSPB warden we came to the conclusion that what I had seen was a flight of swans or geese and the lights were street lights or the setting sun reflecting off their feathers. He said he had seen this on many occasions during the course of his career.

Keith
keithmorris

Postby nozzmoking » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:30 am

Looks like you spotted the same 'triangle of satellites' as I did on Saturday 3rd July. I posted over on the "Ask a silly (astronomy) question" forum and the reply I got was they were part of a group of 4 satellites, (the 4th being 1000km higher than the others possibly explaining why I/we saw 3) that were sent up to study the Aurora.

I thought I was going nuts so glad someone else has seen them!
nozzmoking

Postby thebest » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:36 am

Chaps thanks for the replies!!!

Thats correct..the 'triangle was west from Arcturus...' sorry for the bad diagram..but those 3 stars i drew in are to scale roughly....dont ask why i put a circle around it. : )

I know what i saw, three stars naturally brighter than anything in the sky...like venus...brilliant white. as soon as i stop to investigate...they simultaneously start to fade away...into nothing...
Its like one day you look up and see Orion. then in 5 secs it starts to disappear..i've been looking up for 20yrs.. only ever witnessed twice the unexplained in daylight. one was a mass sighting 12 years ago in London.....anyway i'm glad they're just satellites....yeah right.[;)]
thebest

Postby jonathan turner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:16 pm

No your not losing it,im also a UFO person,but i deal in facts that can be checked out.You have seen a UFO in it's real term Unidentified Flying Object,but that does'nt make it a spaceship.There have been numerous reports of triangular UFO's,by pilots etc with bright lights on each corner.Search the internet and have a look.
In my experience all the good eveidence is stacked up in favour that we ARE being visited.Remember,we are a young race and there are plenty of stars out there,so the chances that a much older race has managed to cross space is not a poo hoo idea.
jonathan turner

Re: i'm i losing it?? triangle star formation

Postby Zobiana » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:02 am

Hi I live in the Usa and am currently living in Grovetown , Ga our road runs east/west for the past week I have been seeing a pyramid formation of stars my daughter and I watched this formation of stars high in the western sky and slowly descend closer and closer to earth till we lost it behind the trees it always kept a perfect formation as it descended , It only took the formation of stars maybe an hour to descend..any ideas because we are completely baffled. Not typical by a long shot for stars ..It has happened twice this week already. I have seen stars well I can't call them stars because I was looking at one beside Venus one night and it shot straight up into the sky and disappeared..this was back I would say about 4 or so months ago. Up until I finally got my daughter out to witness this she thought I was going mad. Now she has seen why I come in wide eyed a lot of times after being outside ...
Zobiana

Re: RE: i'm i losing it?? triangle star formation

Postby Astro Chav » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:58 am

jonathan turner wrote:No your not losing it,im also a UFO person,but i deal in facts that can be checked out.You have seen a UFO in it's real term Unidentified Flying Object,but that does'nt make it a spaceship.There have been numerous reports of triangular UFO's,by pilots etc with bright lights on each corner.Search the internet and have a look.
In my experience all the good eveidence is stacked up in favour that we ARE being visited.Remember,we are a young race and there are plenty of stars out there,so the chances that a much older race has managed to cross space is not a poo hoo idea.

I have to admit I'm well open to the idea of life on other planets and intelligent life outside our solar system but very sceptical about anything capable of travelling across interstellar space. If "aliens" were robots or were life that can be suspended for thousands of years, then it becomes believable.

I once read that we would need to convert the entire mass of the universe to energy to get to Alpha Centauri.
How can I be at one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it actually is?

http://philippugh.onlinewebshop.net/Phils_Gateway.html
Astro Chav

Postby JaynenGa » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:38 pm

No you are not losing it here is what I saw the morning of Jan 17 2019.
Attachments
20190117_100649.jpg
Triangular shaped star formation in front of my house in the eastern sky.
20190117_100649.jpg (224.79 KiB) Viewed 315 times
JaynenGa

Postby JaynenGa » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:39 pm

This was early in the morning about 5:55 am EST
JaynenGa

Next

Return to General