Switch to mobile style

I Saw Very bright Star Dissapear

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Re: I Saw Very bright Star Dissapear

Postby ami6989 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:04 pm

I saw this too! It was at about 5.30am on the morning of the 3/10/12. I was on a night shift when I looked into the sky and saw a really bright star in the south sky. I live in Bournemouth. The star was glowing bright, the brightest in the sky. But about 5 seconds later in dimmed and vanished! I thought I was seeing things but as if by magic, it slowly came back! I got out my phone and made a very wobbly video! I watched the star on and off for about an hour. It was getting lighter and all the other stars were disappearing into the morning sky but this star was still there, glowing brightly. Then about 10 minutes later, I witnessed it disappear completely, and it didn't return! Any ideas?
ami6989

Re: I Saw Very bright Star Disappear

Postby Kaija » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:34 am

I live in Bournemouth too and have just seen the same thing it was so bright then it seemed to change shape then it got a bit smaller and vanished but came back again for a few moments then it disappeared. I have kept looking for it since then bit it has gone! Pleaase tell me what it is.
Kaija

Postby lovetoseesky » Fri May 18, 2018 6:36 am

I am seeing a star daily in the night that appears in the west, which is very bright in the evening and when it becomes dark. After sometime, it slowly moves farther fading away. I have been almost noticing this phenomenon for more than a week now. Can someone please explain the phenomenon ?.
lovetoseesky

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 pm

lovetoseesky wrote:I am seeing a star daily in the night that appears in the west, which is very bright in the evening and when it becomes dark. After sometime, it slowly moves farther fading away. I have been almost noticing this phenomenon for more than a week now. Can someone please explain the phenomenon ?.

Hi and welcome
Without being there it's hard to tell, but Venus is currently very bright in the Western sky in the evenings at the moment, so it's possible that you're seeing it with a cloud moving across it which could cause it to dim. As the evening progresses, Venus gets closer to the horizon so is more likely to get obscured later on in the evening.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Zippy » Sat May 19, 2018 2:05 pm

lovetoseesky wrote:I am seeing a star daily in the night that appears in the west, which is very bright in the evening and when it becomes dark. After sometime, it slowly moves farther fading away. I have been almost noticing this phenomenon for more than a week now. Can someone please explain the phenomenon ?.

I cannot say what you saw but Gfamily might be right.
But best way to find out is if you get the free Sky Map app for Android. Then if it happens again, just launch the app on your phone/tablet and it will show you exactly where Venus is in your night sky.

Until I read this thread, I had never heard of an Iridium Flare.
But this may explain what I saw about 5 nights ago at about 2am, when I saw something bright moving incredibly slowly but only for a few seconds. I saw it a little to the left of Polaris and just put it down to being an aeroplane. Though I was surprised not to see any other different coloured lights when the white disappeared. Also there was total silence and I thought it must have been at an immensely high Altitude.
Zippy

Postby Jasonscott45 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:45 pm

Ian,I just saw exactly what you described last night here in Boston. I've been watching the stats a lot lately. I've noticed Polaris recently getting brighter and seemingly more orange-ey? And so walking by a window I said..let m go get my telescope. By the time I got outside the star was gone. I thought I was going crazy or maybe it wasn't a star but a few minutes later there it was again..bright as before. I decided to watch it for a while and it seemed to be a continuous loop of getting very bright to the point of almost looking like 2 stars to dimming down to complete blackness and after a minute coming back again. I cannot find any logical explanations on line. Please let me know if u found out anymore or have seen these recent sightings. Thanks

-Jay
Jasonscott45

Postby Matthew1976 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:59 am

I just saw very bright star disappear and then it got very bright again my theory is something has passed between the light source causing an eclipse. It happened all within about 15 seconds. This was not a satilite or any other man made object since I used telescope 30 min later to look at the object and it was clearly a distant planet or star. I’m not sure what the light source was or what could have caused the eclipse. I’m not your average star gazer so I will not be convinced by some of these stupid explanations I have seen here. If you saw what you said you saw you are right it did disappear but what caused the light source to be blocked is the question. Not a satilite and not a airplane. The object is not disappearing it the the light source. Each galaxy has different sources of light and many other object can block that source. Plus we have to calculate how may light years away it is in order to know how old the light we are seeing is. Light travels very fast but may take many years to reach us here on earth. Keep gazing it’s always a mystery as to the cause.
Matthew1976

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:31 am

The first issue is to try and pin down what you might have been looking at.
If you download a planetarium software such as Stellarium, you can set it for your location and the date and time of when you saw the thing disappear.
Let us know what the software suggests is most likely, and we can then have a better idea what might have made it disappear and then reappear.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby DevonP » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:54 am

Just saw this happen to me even though this conversation is old. I can asssure you it was no aircraft/satellite. It was orangish/red for me and was just sitting there. I turned to the window and saw it sitting on the horizon at about 4:30 a.m. Then I turned away, checked my phone, looked back, anddd I saw it dim out! It just slowly got dimmer and dimmer until there was nothing left. I live around Lexington Kentucky and it seemed like magic to my eyes. At first I thought it was mars because I checked my app and it said Mars was setting around 5:25 a.m. So I thought ok, that’s mars alright. ( Going off of the evidence of it being orangish red and on the horizon.) But then a few moments later it started to dim out! I thought it was magic! So I got my phone went and searched about it and found this post. I search the stars and planets quite often with my telescope and naked eye. So the next thing I did was point my telescope at it and it looked more like a planet body to me. I’m not 100% sure why that happened but if someone could explain that would be marvelous. Cheers! -Dev
DevonP

Postby Graeme1858 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:42 am

If it was Mars it probably just got obscured momentarily by cloud.

PreviousNext

Return to General