I want 11" or little larger but others differ, and you?

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Re: I want 11" or little larger but others differ, and you?

Postby TareqPhoto » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:13 am

Aratus wrote:
TareqPhoto wrote:
Aratus wrote:
Weight and heavy is one of the problems, but aren't other scopes heavy too such as 8" or 9.25"? dropping is an issue with all scopes, even light scope can be dropped and although it is cheaper scope but fixing cost isn't worthy.

I agree about having like a permanent mount, but if not possible then it is not a good choice?

I am not worry about the air condition as i live in country with bad light pollution but clear sky, so planets aren't a problem at all, they are so bright steady no twinkle even from a city.

An 8" SCT can be just about handled by one person, even with a tripod attached. An 11" SCT is much heavier and will require several people to carry it.

An 8" SCT weighs 24 pounds. An 11"SCT weighs 65 pounds.

I bought an 11", but only because I could mount it permanently. Even lifting it up to the observatory pier required 2 people to lift it. :o

Strange, at Celestron site they mentioned that 11" is 28 pounds or 13 kilos, so i should believe them or you?
TareqPhoto

Postby EIZO » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:18 pm

TareqPhoto wrote:
EIZO wrote:No I easily place my 8" HD Edge SC on a mount held by one arm and screw it in place with the other

I don't understand this post ??? :?:

Then I suggest you READ TareqPhoto post avbove I was responding to ???
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby Aratus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:56 pm

TareqPhoto wrote:Strange, at Celestron site they mentioned that 11" is 28 pounds or 13 kilos, so i should believe them or you?

I'm just quoting the weights from the manuals supplied with the telescopes.
The 8" SE SCT weighs 24 pounds. The 11" CPC SCT weighs 65 pounds.

Possibly the quotes you saw are for the tubes only. Either way it is possible for 1 average person to carry the 8" + mount + tripod short distances. I personally cannot even lift the 11" + mount to the tripod unaided, let alone walk with it.

Here is a photo I took of the 2 telescopes side by side.

Judge for yourself.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby TareqPhoto » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:35 pm

I am only looking at Tube, not the tube and mount, i already have a mount so i want to get the tube only and use my EQ mount instead of CPC or forked one.
TareqPhoto

Postby TareqPhoto » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Ok, this thread is going to be closed, because i am changing my mind about 11", so no need for this thread anymore, also i wait too long in any thread here for replies, so please close this thread or even delete it, i won't post anymore threads, thanks.
TareqPhoto

Previous

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question