I want 11" or little larger but others differ, and you?

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

I want 11" or little larger but others differ, and you?

Postby TareqPhoto » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 pm

As the title says, i don't have scopes now except the guide scope that i use it now as a main scope for DSO, but i am really interested in to add solar system targets mainly planets in my imaging journey, and i wanted the larger i can afford, but my mount can't go for very very large, but from what i read i think i can go maximum with 11", but all are trying to change my mind about 11" because of 3 main problems which are not problems with me, maybe only 1 or 2 but not a permanent problems, so what do you think?
TareqPhoto

Re: I want 11" or little larger but others differ, and you?

Postby EIZO » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:29 pm

It is hard for me to understand what you are trying to say.

You use a "guide scope as a telescope" ?

You can go to 11", of what, refractor, Reflecting scope, SC ?
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby TareqPhoto » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:29 pm

EIZO wrote:It is hard for me to understand what you are trying to say.

You use a "guide scope as a telescope" ?

You can go to 11", of what, refractor, Reflecting scope, SC ?

Sorry i didn't mention, i was talking about Celestron C11, i was going to ask on forums about Meade 12" but sounds Meade isn't as popular as Celestron, and maybe 12" is also too much like C14, so i was talking about C11 for 11".

I use ST80, it is a scope, but it is mainly used as a guide scope more than just an imaging scope, it was just for test and practice, and next year i will start about scopes, but i still have Canon lenses so this can be used instead of telescopes and so i may wait longer before i buy a refractor for DSO, and i already have ideas or details about refractors, but i asked here about SCT, and C11 is the item of the topic.
TareqPhoto

Postby Aratus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:04 am

An 11" SCT is a pretty large telescope, and it needs a mount designed for one of that size. The other problem with an 11" SCT is that it is very heavy. Unless you are some kind of body builder you won't be able to carry it on your own. Even if you could carry it, it is awkward to carry and mount. Make one mistake and drop it, and it could be very expensive to fix. 11" are best permanently mounted in some kind of observatory. You will get little advantage with an even larger telescope unless you live somewhere like a desert or up a mountain where the air is thin and still.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby TareqPhoto » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:17 am

Aratus wrote:An 11" SCT is a pretty large telescope, and it needs a mount designed for one of that size. The other problem with an 11" SCT is that it is very heavy. Unless you are some kind of body builder you won't be able to carry it on your own. Even if you could carry it, it is awkward to carry and mount. Make one mistake and drop it, and it could be very expensive to fix. 11" are best permanently mounted in some kind of observatory. You will get little advantage with an even larger telescope unless you live somewhere like a desert or up a mountain where the air is thin and still.

Weight and heavy is one of the problems, but aren't other scopes heavy too such as 8" or 9.25"? dropping is an issue with all scopes, even light scope can be dropped and although it is cheaper scope but fixing cost isn't worthy.

I agree about having like a permanent mount, but if not possible then it is not a good choice?

I am not worry about the air condition as i live in country with bad light pollution but clear sky, so planets aren't a problem at all, they are so bright steady no twinkle even from a city.
TareqPhoto

Postby EIZO » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:20 am

No I easily place my 8" HD Edge SC on a mount held by one arm and screw it in place with the other
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby TareqPhoto » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 pm

EIZO wrote:No I easily place my 8" HD Edge SC on a mount held by one arm and screw it in place with the other

I don't understand this post ??? :?:
TareqPhoto

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:23 pm

TareqPhoto wrote:
EIZO wrote:No I easily place my 8" HD Edge SC on a mount held by one arm and screw it in place with the other

EIZO is making the point that its easy to mount a 8" OTA (weight 5-6kg) as a one-person job.

If you more or less double the OTA weight (C11 = 12kg) it would be a different matter, with more risk of it falling.

Are you intending this for AP? Your user name suggests this as a possibility - in which case, the payload for your EQ6-R mount is listed as 20kg (on the sites I've looked at) and the usual advice for AP is to avoid going above 50% of the quoted payload of the mount.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby TareqPhoto » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:
TareqPhoto wrote:

EIZO is making the point that its easy to mount a 8" OTA (weight 5-6kg) as a one-person job.

If you more or less double the OTA weight (C11 = 12kg) it would be a different matter, with more risk of it falling.

Are you intending this for AP? Your user name suggests this as a possibility - in which case, the payload for your EQ6-R mount is listed as 20kg (on the sites I've looked at) and the usual advice for AP is to avoid going above 50% of the quoted payload of the mount.

The risk is there always, and definitely if i feel that i can't carry it then i will ask other persons to help me, regardless that i really get used to the weight, and to give you an example, everytime i go out at night in my yard to do do AP i carry my mount which is AZ-EQ6[not EQ6-R] with the tripod all assembled, and i think you can imagine how much is the total weight of the mount head with the tripod weight, ofcourse without the counterweight, so C11 will be a joke then, but i know the mount is a bit sturdy that i try not dropping it, while the scope is optics and glass, i think even a small impact and it will be damaged, so i will ask helpers for sure.

Maybe one day i may buy another mount so i can leave one with this SCT permanently, but all that will cost me a lot, i wanted to have 14" actually or even 16", but the more i go higher, the more cost and the more load capacity and the more headache for setup and getting ready, air turbulence and still isn't a problem in my country, i am sure i can use 14" or 16" just fine, but i think this is too much to go for, and i am a beginner so i think 11" is too much already for me.

I am not sure about the actual capacity load of my mount, somewhere it says 55lb which is i think ~25kg, and another sites or the manual it says 50lb [20kg range], but i don't know if that is for visual or AP, and i am planning to use that C11 for solar system imaging, planets mostly, but i may try using it for AP if i buy a hyperstar, but i know i don't want to have headache problems so i will keep this C11 if i get it dedicated for planetary and most solar system imaging, and another scope a refractor or newtonian mostly for DSO AP.
TareqPhoto

Postby Aratus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:28 pm

TareqPhoto wrote:
Aratus wrote:
Weight and heavy is one of the problems, but aren't other scopes heavy too such as 8" or 9.25"? dropping is an issue with all scopes, even light scope can be dropped and although it is cheaper scope but fixing cost isn't worthy.

I agree about having like a permanent mount, but if not possible then it is not a good choice?

I am not worry about the air condition as i live in country with bad light pollution but clear sky, so planets aren't a problem at all, they are so bright steady no twinkle even from a city.

An 8" SCT can be just about handled by one person, even with a tripod attached. An 11" SCT is much heavier and will require several people to carry it.

An 8" SCT weighs 24 pounds. An 11"SCT weighs 65 pounds.

I bought an 11", but only because I could mount it permanently. Even lifting it up to the observatory pier required 2 people to lift it. :o
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Next

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question