I watched a star disappear

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

I watched a star disappear

Postby NeilaBean07 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:45 am

Last night, 10/22/18, in New Hampshire, around 9:30 pm I think I saw a star dissapear. I dont know which direction I was looking, but the moon was diagonally to my left and forward if that makes sense. The star was directly forward. There were some clouds in the sky but there was a big open circle with this star in the middle. I started saying that classic "star light star bright" rhyme and I noticed that the star got a little bit bigger. After a second it started to shrink and after just five to ten seconds it was completely gone. Nothing had gone in front of it, it didn't come back, it just disappeared. So does anyone know what really happened? It was a really amazing experience no matter what it really was, but I want to know what happened.
NeilaBean07

Re: I watched a star disappear

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:19 pm

If the star you saw was all alone in its patch of sky, it's possible it was the planet Mars shining through a patch of thin cloud.
Particularly if it was about 4 fist widths to the right of the Moon.
Mars is the brightest thing in the sky at that time (other than the Moon), so it's most likely to have caught your eye.
If the cloud then thickened up, it may well have seem to have disappeared.

But these are always difficult to pin down from a description.
But we do know that stars don't just wink out of existence, so it wasn't that, as least!
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Re: I watched a star disappear

Postby NeilaBean07 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Thank you, that actually makes a lot of sense!
NeilaBean07

Return to General