In search of the Northern Lights

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

In search of the Northern Lights

Postby deeds » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:30 pm

Hi all.
I recently went to Liverpool airport to go on a 'In search of the Northern Lights' flights - a flight, organised by Omega Travel which lasts for 3 hours and travels North to the edge of British airspace hopefully to view the aurora.
The event was hosted by the Sky At Nights own Chris Lintott.
To cut a long story short, after 5 hours of waiting (including an hour on the plane) the flight was abandoned - due to navigational lights on the wing tips of the 757 interferring with the viewing of the passengers. These lights, according to the pilot, could not be turned off by law. As you can imagine all 205 people on the plane were very naffed off! Whilst talking to other passengers it became apparent that this has been a problem on a number of other flights.

I really hope Chris Lintott gets to hear about this shambles as I am sure he would not want his name associated with it.

Has anyone out there been on one of these flights and if so, did they see anything?
deeds

RE: In search of the Northern Lights

Postby les » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:56 am

HI Tim,
Sounds a bit of fiasco,you've every right to be annoyed.Light pollution gets everwhere.The lack of research by the organisers is astounding.[:@]
Regards and sympathy Les.
les

Postby jsc248 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:33 am

Hi Tim,
I went on the northern lights flight from John Lennon in Nov 2004. On that flight the plane turned off all lights when we reached the edge of the arctic circle, only leaving them on for the flight to and back from the circle.
The flight was the experience of a lifetime! It wasn't just the northern lights aspect of the flight but the journey up there was fantastic too. The view of the stars from 40,00 feet in the night sky is not something you forget in a hurry. No light pollution and crystal clear skies, the number of stars visible to the naked eye was unbelievable ( it was he first time I had ever seen the "head" of Orion!!).
As for the northern lights, we were lucky!. The lights were clear and bright with plenty of curtain structure to them. They stretched right across the visible horizon and were a grey/green colour.
It was also the time of the leonids meteor shower and I counted 15 within a two minute observation time.
I'm sorry to hear that your trip ended in such a fiasco, it's a shame your pilot just didn't do what ours did and took the chance when he got there!
Once again I'm sorry about your flight.
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby jsc248 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:33 pm

Hi Tim,
I've just been going through the forum again and realised who started this thread. By that I mean I was the user who started the Merseyside astronomy Day thread. So, if I see you there I'll tell you all about it then!
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby deeds » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:36 pm

Thanks for your coments guys.
See you at the M.A.D. JSC248

Tim
deeds

Return to General