Inspired by Skywatcher - That's Steve not the telescope maker of the same name ;)

Share practical advice and tips on making your own kit

Inspired by Skywatcher - That's Steve not the telescope maker of the same name ;)

Postby psychobilly » Tue May 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Having not only hi-jacked Steves M64 - The Black Eye Galaxy Thread....but also his idea (apologise for both Steve)... I decide to move the Skywatcher inspired 500mm slr lens guide scope "project" into this thread.

The story so far... (copied from the other thread)

Hi Steve,

I picked a similar M42 fitting lens up on ebay a few months ago and had made an m42-1.25" adaptor for use with some old lenses and a meade DSI...it had a sloppy front focus section "cured" by a wrap of insulating tape between the barrel and the focus ring...

Your pic has given me an idea....

I'll mount that combo up on the 8" in addition to the "66" freeing up the SCT from guiding duties. This should then allow me to. speed up one of my plans which involves widefield imaging the reigons around DSO's and obtaininh close up images of the same objects...

So the setup would be...

Skywatcher Equinoxe-66 pro with WO x0.8 FF II and hutech IDAS Nikon D200 for the widefield, CPC800XLT with various FR's and DSI II C for the closeup's and the 500mm telephoto withthe DSI I C as the guider :)

if I add the guiding setup under the OTA it will help counterbalance the "66" which is on top :)

Thanks for the inspiration....

Billy....

and....

Having dug out the "old" finderscope and its mount...

Here's the result of a lot of good luck and some lateral thinking...

[image]local://2658/48BEF25DD4E34D9BABE9F88533FAC56C.jpg[/image]

The good luck...was that the diameter of the tube on the 500mm lens was almost the same as that of the Celestron 9x50 finder...easily sorted witha few turns of insulating tape..had to take the lens apart to get it to fit in the finderscope mount...

The inspiration was turning the finderscope dovetail mount through 180 degrees so that the lens could fit along side the "66" and still be easily removed and re-fitted :)

Just got to co-align it all now ..... and lock the focus of the guidesope at infinity...

Where are those clear skies....

Thanks Steve :)

and...(Update)

I got all the camera's focused, co-aligned and talkign to the various programs on the laptop all at teh same time - The DSI I C to PHD Guide, DSI II C to Envisage and the Nikon in Mass Storage Mode so hopefully everythign will work out in the field.

I had to shorten one of the adjustment screws on the old finderscope mount to allow the mount to swing to 90 degrees (infact it wil go slightly beyond it) before fouling on the mount arm so should be fine.

Forgot to mention that the front to back balance in DEC was a lot better with this new scope added before it was a bit nose heavy - still need some weight under the OTA though as its still top heavy...maybe thats the next thing to tackle...

SO...

As always left waiting for clear skies...

[image]local://2658/97687CC6CD2A4331BD0AA8B98CAF74A1.jpg[/image]
psychobilly

RE: Inspired by Skywatcher - That's Steve not the telescope maker of the same name ;)

Postby Chanctonbury » Tue May 27, 2008 2:43 pm

Well done, Peter, looks great and to have improved the balance into the bargain is a real bonus as I know that this can be a problem on these Alt/Az mounts.

What we need now is some clear sky ( whatever that means, I'm just guessing [:@] ) so that we can see some results from you!
Chanctonbury

RE: Inspired by Skywatcher - That's Steve not the telescope maker of the same name ;)

Postby psychobilly » Tue May 27, 2008 3:00 pm

Cheers Steve,

Thanks for giving me something to do on my last day of hols before going back to work...was at a bit of a lose end till i saw your post...

Billy...
psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Wed May 28, 2008 1:00 am

Ok Best clear skies for about 10 days and lots of things to test ...

Wanted to check out using the 500mm lens and DSI I C as my new guide setup there by freeing up boththe 8" SCT and rhe Skywatcher Equinoxe-66 Pro setup for real imaging duties.

I have a DSI I C and a DSI II C and wanted to use the DSI I C for guiding and the DSI II C form imaging through the 8" first "problem" was Envisage grabbing both DSI's causing PHDGuide to lose control of the guide cam (DSI I C) and hence the telecope mount.

I found that by disconnecting the DSI I C before starting Envisage meant that it only grabbed the DSI II C. Once Envisage was up and running then I re-connected the DSI I C fired up PHDGuide and selected the DSI I C from the camera list and eveything worked fine :)

was able to focus the 500mm fairly well - well enough to get plenty of guide stars at 2s exposure but found that i will need to get a proper sixed heater band for it and make it a dew shield.

All in all a good result.

Here's a 5x60s image of M57 taken withthe DSI II C throught the CPC800 at f6.3 focus is out and theres no alignment or dark subtraction as my existing darks for the DSI II C stopped at 30s... looks like now im setup to autoguide and using the DSI II C for imaging again I will be extending the dark set. I deliberately didn't let envisage align the subs as I wanted to highlight any tracking errors as a result of using the DSI I C/500mm f8 lens setup for autoguiding. The stars still look pretty round :)

[image]local://2658/C7705553F0154AF384D405C68D683326.jpg[/image]

Billy...

psychobilly

Return to Telescope Making