Is Skywatcher Quattro too heavy for AP on an EQ6 R?

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Is Skywatcher Quattro too heavy for AP on an EQ6 R?

Postby Ryan Hall » Tue May 29, 2018 7:13 pm

Hello, just looking for a bit of advice.

So I was searching for a good reflector telescope for the EQ6 R and I saw there was a lot of people on Astrobin using the Skywatcher Quattro 10CF OTA on an NEQ6 mount and they were getting some decent images, then I googled the weight of the Quattro 10 CF and it was almost 15kg which is around 80% of the mounts 18kg weight capacity, and that's without any accessories. Now, although it is under the recommended weight limit for the NEQ6, I heard that the rule for astrophotography is that you should never go above 60% of the mounts capacity, which leads me to my question:

Is it okay to put this ratio of weight on a mount and still use it for astrophotography?

And if it is not then would using the Quattro 10CF on an EQ6 R (weight capacity 20kg) or AZ EQ6 (weight capacity 25kg (not sure about how true this is though)) be any better?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Ryan Hall

Re: Is Skywatcher Quattro too heavy for AP on an EQ6 R?

Postby Zippy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi Ryan,

I don't have any AP experience yet so cannot speak from experience. Only posting as you have had a lot of views but no replies, so assume nobody here has used this particular combination.

From what I have read the EQ6 is one of the better mounts so should track well for AP.
As for the weight, the 50% to 60% recommended limit is to ensure stability in most conditions including breezes and varying ground surface. So running at an 80% load does not necessary mean poor results. You may find that when running a higher loading, you may have to discard a higher percentage of your frames and you may find poorer images when the wind picks up.

I have also read that it is not only weight, but size matters too.
A large tube will act like a sail in a breeze, plus it will need more torque to index or track.
So a short tube scope might perform better than a long tube at that loading?
Rgds Geo.
Zippy

Postby vega1972 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:10 pm

It's quite disturbing, that the above posts aren't at all about what you can actually see through a telescope. Rather, it's only about the technical details of the construction of the telescope itself.
vega1972

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:29 pm

vega1972 wrote:It's quite disturbing, that the above posts aren't at all about what you can actually see through a telescope. Rather, it's only about the technical details of the construction of the telescope itself.

Why disturbing?
It's a question about whether a mount is suited to a particular scope - because if they weren't matched, the view of anything would be compromised, and we wouldn't want that.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Graeme1858 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:07 pm

vega1972 wrote:It's quite disturbing, that the above posts aren't at all about what you can actually see through a telescope. Rather, it's only about the technical details of the construction of the telescope itself.

Yes, why disturbing? There are many aspects to this excellent hobby! There's a lot of posts in this forum about what you can see through a telescope and there are posts about the technical side of things also. An interest in astronomy can include equipment technology, astrophysics, astrobiology, planetary geology and cosmology. There is no need to limit our interest to observational astronomy only.

But if that's your thing why not tell us a bit about your experiences in the Introductions section?

Regards

Graeme
Graeme1858

Postby vega1972 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:20 am

What introduction section? I thought anyone came on here and posted astronomy-related things, do you mean we have to reveal ourselves?
vega1972

Postby Graeme1858 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:31 am

It's not mandatory!
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (28.48 KiB) Viewed 40 times
Graeme1858

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question