Is Skywatcher Quattro too heavy for AP on an EQ6 R?

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Is Skywatcher Quattro too heavy for AP on an EQ6 R?

Postby Ryan Hall » Tue May 29, 2018 7:13 pm

Hello, just looking for a bit of advice.

So I was searching for a good reflector telescope for the EQ6 R and I saw there was a lot of people on Astrobin using the Skywatcher Quattro 10CF OTA on an NEQ6 mount and they were getting some decent images, then I googled the weight of the Quattro 10 CF and it was almost 15kg which is around 80% of the mounts 18kg weight capacity, and that's without any accessories. Now, although it is under the recommended weight limit for the NEQ6, I heard that the rule for astrophotography is that you should never go above 60% of the mounts capacity, which leads me to my question:

Is it okay to put this ratio of weight on a mount and still use it for astrophotography?

And if it is not then would using the Quattro 10CF on an EQ6 R (weight capacity 20kg) or AZ EQ6 (weight capacity 25kg (not sure about how true this is though)) be any better?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Ryan Hall

Re: Is Skywatcher Quattro too heavy for AP on an EQ6 R?

Postby Zippy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi Ryan,

I don't have any AP experience yet so cannot speak from experience. Only posting as you have had a lot of views but no replies, so assume nobody here has used this particular combination.

From what I have read the EQ6 is one of the better mounts so should track well for AP.
As for the weight, the 50% to 60% recommended limit is to ensure stability in most conditions including breezes and varying ground surface. So running at an 80% load does not necessary mean poor results. You may find that when running a higher loading, you may have to discard a higher percentage of your frames and you may find poorer images when the wind picks up.

I have also read that it is not only weight, but size matters too.
A large tube will act like a sail in a breeze, plus it will need more torque to index or track.
So a short tube scope might perform better than a long tube at that loading?
Rgds Geo.
Zippy

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question