Its here!

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Re: Its here!

Postby Aratus » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:30 pm

Having all this experience floating around is why I find forums (at their best) so useful. I've lost count of all the new ideas and tweeks of old ones that have enabled me to improve my experience. All of which I have picked up on a forum. You will soon be an 'expert' Stu, and giving out your own advice! :geek:

You are quite right Dave, there are so many permutations and choices at every level. Rest assured - I think your advice, is as sound as a bell! :) I might easily have gone for a zoom myself, but in the end I had 3 eyepieces, a x2 and a x4 barlow. There is someone I know who wouldn't touch a barlow or a zoom with a barge pole and they have a range of a dozen eyepieces instead. Vive la différence !
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby dave.b » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 am

Well my story is that I started of with a zoom EP and then slowly added one Hyperion after another. And also picked up a couple of OTAs too and finally got a decent mount. The zoom EP has also been recently upgraded. So I have quite a reasonable selection of kit to play with. A session usually starts with the zoom EP right after I've finished with the illuminated reticle EP for calibrating the mount. I'll use the fixed focal length Hyperion EPs for there wider field of view or higher or lower magnifications - the 36mm is fantastic for its wide field view of the sky.

I recommend a zoom EP as a starting point over EP kits of plossl and kelner designs because it will be fun to use and then you can save your penny's for one reasonably decent wide angle EP at a time.

Regards
Dave B.

P.S. you'll note that I haven't ventured into Nagler territory! That's a while different ball game!
dave.b

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:00 pm

A lot of it depends on what your main interest is. I'm a Sun fan but I also like lunar, planetary and deep sky, too. The Sun is the best because it changes so often. It's nice to see a deep sky object like the Beehive (M44) but it looks the same as it did hundreds of years ago.

Most astronomers get drawn to one branch of the hobby.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Previous

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question