January Moon

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

January Moon

Postby Graeme1858 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:29 pm

Here's an image of a Moon crater taken 20/01/19 that I recorded with my GPCAM2 and at the time I didn't know how to debayer, drizzle, stack, balance, stretch and level! The original is just a disappointing green blur!

It started as an AVI that I separated into BMPs with PIPP and stacked with Registax. I tried to stack it with Autostacker so I could drizzle it but my poor old laptop runs out of memory with that many files!

200119 Moon-SAN.png
200119 Moon-SAN.png (193.8 KiB) Viewed 319 times

Re: January Moon

Postby Aratus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:04 pm

It is true that these large frames do take up a lot of computer memory when stacking. If you can upgrade your computer memory you will notice a big difference in the time it takes to do its job. If the frames are not so sharp then consider reducing the size until the size matches the sharpness. The smaller frames will stack more easily, and you won't lose any resolution that wasn't there in the first place.

A nice shot of Copernicus. The rays are well shown, and you can see the terracing inside the crater. The 2 main peaks are just about visible too. They say that a full moon is not a good time for observing, but actually you can see quite a lot of the high brightness features.
I use an 11" reflector (Celestron CPC 1100) and a 3" refractor, (Sky-Watcher ST80) mounted on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI 120MM, ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 1300D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches