Jupiter attempts

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Jupiter attempts

Postby Aratus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:07 am

At last some clear skies in the late evening. Jupiter is about as high as it is going to get at this time. I find the strategy for Jupiter is to take as many sets of images as you can, and hope one of them occurred while the atmosphere steadied down. In this case (23rd April) it wasn't too bad. I even tried using a barlow for extra detail, but the atmosphere wasn't up to it. The best shot was early on at 2202UT, taken without the x2 barlow
The Great Red Spot is just about disappearing around the proceeding limb. It looked rather 'brick red'. The North Temperate Zone (NTZ) had a bright coffee coloured hue to it. Some whisps of cloud from the North Equatorial Belt were straying into the Equatorial Zone. The Great Red Spot seems to be disturbing the South Equatorial Belt (SEB) giving a streak of lighter coloured swirls across it.
The 2 'moons' are Io and Europa.
Let's hope for some more clear skies while Jupiter is at its best.
Last edited by Aratus on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Jupiter attempts

Postby andrewscomputers » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:14 am

Hi Aratus I like the image how many frames did you use and what stacking software did you use to get out the detail as it is much better than my image.
Thanks
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:00 pm

That image was 10% of 3000 frames of an AVI file - so 300 frames taken at ISO400 and 1/60th sec. I used Registax, and used the RGB align function, and some medium wavelets. I increased the colour saturation by 15%.

I've found that you need to keep the ISO down to at least 400. Graininess is a killer. Also because Jupiter rotates very quickly keep the frames to within 3 minutes of each other. The above image is quite sharp, but doesn't have a lot of detail. That tells me that focussing was good, but that the atmosphere was no better than average. Wait until Jupiter is as high as possible, and make sure the telescope is cooled down. The trick is to take as many sets as you can, and hope that the seeing settled down during at least one of them. The weather is forecast to clear tonight, so I'll have another go.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Aratus thanks for the info,I am always interested how it was done so I can get more knowledge.
Thanks
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:25 pm

You will be able to get better photos with practice. 'Luck' enters into it too. For instance a couple of nights ago I took a dozen sets of Jupiter, but because of the seeing conditions, none of them was better that the one above. That's the way it goes.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi Aratus thanks for the reply,I now that the condition can change,I bought a goto for my scope as I had trouble finding deep sky objects and found the ring nebula and Hercules cluster so far, but try to upgrade the handset with new firmware and would not load,but had to use an old computer to upgrade,finally done after a day.
Thanks
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:56 pm

I can't upgrade my handset either! Often they won't connect to Windows 10, but can sometimes be made to work with older systems. There are not many bright deep sky objects in the Spring sky. As you've discovered, the Hercules Cluster is about the best. Well done finding the Ring Nebula manually. It is quite a small target, but very distinctive. Keep going with Jupiter. Catching images of the shadows of the planet's moons crossing the surface of Jupiter is definately worthwhile. The Sky at Night magazine gives several good dates in May.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi Aratus I will have a go jupiter in May,I did find the ring nebula twice but could not see the central star as I think it is quite hard to see because of the magnitude.The goto managed to get me quite close in finding at least I know where objects in the sky are in the constellations​,I will try and get an image on my next attempt.
Thanks
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 pm

The central star in the Ring Nebula is 14th magnitude, and is too faint to been seen through your average telescope. The central star isn't difficult to image though. Another good, bright planetary nebula is the 'Dumbbell' (M27) In darkish skies it is even visible to the naked eye. As the name suggests, these nebula are about the same size in the sky as planets like Jupiter, however, they are very much dimmer objects.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi Aratus thanks for the info I will give the dumbbell ago,the only hardest thing I found is to get to do 2 star alignment but I did manage after a while as it takes sometime to get used to the system.
Thanks
Andy
andrewscomputers

Next

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches