Jupiter's Brief Bank Holiday Appearance.

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Jupiter's Brief Bank Holiday Appearance.

Postby Aratus » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:31 pm

The unhelpful weather recently has meant getting out quickly and making the most of a short break in the cloud. Despite raining the whole of the Bank Holiday it did sort of clear up in the evening. There were plenty of very thin clouds, - but they don't have to spoil viewing the planets.
I went out at around 2145 UT. Although the cloud formed a slight halo around Jupiter it was still possible to see some detail. The seeing was rather wobbly though. The temp had dropped to 3°C, and there was no wind. At x162 Jupiter showed quite a bit of detail including the Great Red Spot. The Northern Equatorial Belt was looking dark and quite ragged. The South Equatorial Belt was much lighter and patchy. I don't know if it heading for one of its occasional disappearing acts. The GRS was on the edge of the planet, and I fancy I saw a leading dark festoon, but the seeing wasn't great. Io and Europa were very close together, heading for a conjuction.
I ran off a few photo sets, but Jupiter was not as bright as it has been, and with the barlow lens, that knocked the exposure time right down. The relatively bad seeing reduced the number of good frames. The result is not too bad, but quite grainy. Further cloud put an end to the session at around 2300 UT.

I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches