Switch to mobile style

Large Dark object next to jupiter moon?

Large Dark object next to jupiter moon?

Postby Mystacoll » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 pm

Hey guys, so i have a very simple telescope pointed at what i believe is jupiter and its 4 big moons, which looks awesome, however i am puzzled by what i see to the left of the furthest left moon of jupiter, it looks huge, very dark but planetary looking but not reflecting light like venus or stars do, you have to look hard but can see the left of the object...i was wondering if you could help explain what i am seeing.???
Mystacoll

Re: Large Dark object next to jupiter moon?

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 pm

It's not really going to be possible on the basis of what you have described. There's no idea of the scale of the object, nor really how far it was from the planet.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how you can have seen anything, if it's not reflecting sunlight and the sky was dark.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Mystacoll » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Your right, i do sound a little faint.
ive not long been looking up with my telescope and my terminology is non existant, but i will explain as best i can....when you find what your looking for, [in my case jupiter]you focus to see perfect light, which doesnt look much differant to when you look up and see the stars with your naked eye. with the exception of being able to see the four moons....now i would imagine most people would then zoom in to either the moons or jupiter itself.well i dont, i found it last week also, because to the left of the furthest left moon,there is what looks like a dark planet/moon. I have been told it could be a light trick on the lens that jupiter being so bright can give off, and something like the dust ring reflection...which i cant rule out untill i have another gander, and to twiddle the eye piece e.t.c....which are all helpful tips, i shall try....but if this is an effect, it only happens with jupiter, nothing else will give me what i see... now i know that all this is still possible but i cant rule it out....but....what if? it is very hard to see, it took my mate last night a while to see what i was talking about, and he got very excited, we spent hours looking up on google, and looking for forums discussing it, and even pictures...in fact we did come across very nearly identical pictures to what we seen but its probably a taboo thing on here and other forums. but if you want to see if you can see it for yourself, going back to the focus thing, so you have 4 tiny lights in a lovely straight line with jupiter in the middle,im not certain how much bigger jupiter looks in my scope, but obviously it is....now the object i see, at a guess would be at least 10 times bigger than jupiter, so it has to be closer to earth, yet there is nothing on the radar....now when i say its a dark object, it looks like a huge planet or massive moon, its darkened so no light is reflecting off it, but you know its there because on the left side you can make out maybe at least a third of the circumfrence with a faint outline... i saw this last week and looked like i could see some detail, not as clear as the moon obviously but something, but i thought iwas going mad, hence getting my mate to look last night. if there is something there, and i know the likely hood is that its not, it is very hard to spot, if your looking for it it can very easily be missed, which is why i suggest if you want to have a gander yourself just to confirm either what i see, or my stupidity ha., then its off the the left side as you are looking off the first, or left moon. also i would just like to add, i see it when i have jupiter and the 4 moons all together in my lens....
Mystacoll

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:50 pm

If you saw it in the same place relative to Jupiter last week and also last night, then it's most likely a reflection or other optical artifact in your scope.

I can say this with a fair amount of confidence because we know that Jupiter will have moved almost half a degree relative to the stars; so if it was something real it would not be in the same position relative to the planet and the moons.
In addition, if anything had 'turned up', it would have been seen by thousands of other observers and been reported.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:41 am

Mystacoll wrote: and looking for forums discussing it, and even pictures...in fact we did come across very nearly identical pictures to what we seen but its probably a taboo thing on here and other forums.

There are many wonderful objects to be viewed through a telescope, and as far as I know there is no astronomical object which is 'taboo' on this forum. However, I think you will find that there is zero interest in fantasy planets and stories of ancient astronaut visitors etc.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Telescopic Observing