Lenses

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Lenses

Postby day_one » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:50 pm

What size lenses would you recommend I buy for my Meade 90etx? it comes with a 26mm and with xmas money I'm going to buy a few as well a 2 x barlow lense??
day_one

RE: Lenses

Postby Chanctonbury » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:23 am

Remember that if you have a Barlow lens, assuming it is a 2 X version then your 26mm eyepiece will effectively become a 13mm eyepiece so there is little point in buying a 12mm eyepiece and so on. As I am an imager, not a viewer, I can't really advise on suitable eyepieces but the above info. will hopefully save you from buying a potentially redundant eyepiece!
Chanctonbury

Postby day_one » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:23 pm

thank you so much![:)] i just assumed it was 2 x ( as in 52!!) but now I've just wrote 52 and you've pointed out my error, i understand how silly am I!!! nay mind, least i aint bought any yet, I'd felt even more [:)][:)]
day_one

Postby keithmorris » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:43 pm

As a good rule of thumb you would take your 26mm and count it as a 26mm and a 13mm (because you already own a Barlow 2x) and go for something in between 26mm and 13mm, like maybe a 15mm. Which would give you 15mm and 7.5mm eyepieces. But remeber to spend that little bit more and buy a good quality eyepiece, be careful there are a lot of cheap kellner eyepieces out there. Personally I won't buy anything less than a super plossl, it depends on what you want to look at. There are eyepieces around called orthoscopic which are great for planetary viewing but not so good nebulas.
keithmorris

Postby day_one » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:13 pm

i was just thinking of sticking with meade as i weren't too sure what the optics of the other lenses would be like, and i don't see the point in paying less when in the end you discover you need to buy another!! so then I did wonder what the diff meade lenses were lol, so thanks for your tip of the super plossl and the 15mm, that shall be my next lense to purchase or even the orthoscopic!! will have to have a little think what I want first,

Ta so much. Really like this new website where we can ask about these things![:D]
day_one

Return to Equipment Advice