Less is more.

A place to discuss the dreaded orange glow

Less is more.

Postby mavrickxxx » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:46 pm

Thankfully i live in central scotland so light pollution isnt bad at all unless you live somewhere like Glasgow or Edinburgh. Even then you can get away from light pollutin quite quicky. Half an hour in the car is usually all you need for excellent skys. My mum stays up in the western isles so im lucky i can go there whenever i like. I can honestly say that i have never seen a blacker sky with stars like diamonds. It is simply STUNNING to see stars that you would never see back on the main land. You can even get lost trying to find what you usually see lol. It must be very frustrating when the neigbour next door decides to leave that nice bright security light on all night. Ive even seen the aurora borialis coming over.
mavrickxxx

RE: Less is more.

Postby lukeskywatcher » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:33 pm

Rub it in,why dontcha.

LOL.

I'm envious of people living in Scotland. You guys really do have the darkest skies but you also have the worst weather. Mind you if i drive 30 mins from my house i am in the middle of the Wicklow mountains which has amazing dark skies. 20 mins further up and i am on top of the mountains and it is so dark you can not see your hand infront of your face. Not sure i'd like to venture up there alone though.

I'd get back in my car at the end of the night and there would be 3 sheep sitting in the back seat saying "Take us to the airport".
lukeskywatcher

Postby mavrickxxx » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:23 am

Yeah, the weather can be pants lol but when its good, its perfection personified. If i go another hour i can get to a place called glencoe which is a very famous battle site from hundreds of years ago. So if you dont like being on your own, the ghosts will get you lol. Its perfect for astro photography as its very atmospheric and pitch black. Im trying to get a hold of the ASTRO TRAC TT320X, but its bloody expensive. The cheapest ive been able to get is around £570. I even went to the official web site thinking it would be cheaper from the source, what i fright i got. They quoted me £698. JESUS lol.
mavrickxxx

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:56 am

Not so long ago there was a post here on how to build your own astro-trac ( I THINK it was a post by Grendel). The blueprint was so simple it was genius. I even considered building one myself but i know better then to start messing about with glue,wood and a few nuts and bolts. I think the whole project cost less then 100.

I'll have a look back to see if i can find it.
lukeskywatcher

Postby mavrickxxx » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:56 am

Now that sounds very interesting. I wouldnt mind seeing that for myself and seeing some images just to see how good or bad it is. I'll keep looking back to see how you get on.
mavrickxxx

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:20 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: Mavrickxxx

Now that sounds very interesting. I wouldnt mind seeing that for myself and seeing some images just to see how good or bad it is. I'll keep looking back to see how you get on.
[/quote]

Not gonna happen cuz i'm too chicken to venture to the top of the Wicklow mountains on my own.

My only companion would be my 2 yr old Yorkie and i am sure she would find her way home 2 weeks later.
lukeskywatcher

Postby mavrickxxx » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Haha. My fur ball would just hiss and spit at me and probably scratch my eyes out lol. Thats just the wife he he. I think im gonna plan a wee trip to my mums and see what i can get. I wish i had an astro trac with me though. I can just imagine the pictures i would get. There must be favorite places in the sky to ZERO in on for exceptional pictures.
mavrickxxx

Postby chaletreynard » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Paul, dont be scared up the Wicklows, all your gonna find is cowpats the size of helcopter pads, and the occasional old gentleman looking for his lost sheep sporting eyebrows on is cheekbones[:D]
chaletreynard

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:06 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Chaletreynard

Paul, dont be scared up the Wicklows, all your gonna find is cowpats the size of helcopter pads, and the occasional old gentleman looking for his lost sheep sporting eyebrows on is cheekbones[:D]
[/quote]

I'm ok observing within the confines of my garden. I dont mind the odd cat jumping the walls and scaring the bejaysus out of me but i have to say that ME stuck up the mountains ALONE................

Not gonna happen.
lukeskywatcher

Postby chaletreynard » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:10 am

If I stand on top of Cadair Idris Mountain I have been reliably informed The Wicklow mountains are visible and as your only about 90 miles away.
It would have been nice to see that Yorkie Pulling you to the top of one.
Shame on your lack of effort[:D]
chaletreynard

Next

Return to Light Pollution