Lidl bino's

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

RE: Lidl bino's

Postby brianb » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:23 am

Vintage bins are often very good quality optically but you need to be aware that the coatings are often non existent or simple single layer coatings, which means that the overall transmission will be of the order of 40-50% as opposed to 90%+ for good modern instruments. Tatty exterior is not relevant to optical performance but reject anything that appears to have been dropped, chances are that the collimation will be out.

Also check carefully for evidence of "fungus" and/or "crazing" of the optics (due to organisms eating into the lens coatings or surfaces and failure of cementing respectively). Both will cause inferior optical performance - probably to the point of being useless - and will certainly not be cost effective to repair. Internal dust is normal & can be ignored unless severe, and is in any case relatively easy to deal with.

brianb

Postby mishmich » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:13 pm

I look at charity shops & cash converters, but so far haven't seen anything I'd spend money on. eBay, you can get lucky, and I've bought some decent stuff there, but not bins so far. At least if the item is not as described on e-Bay, you can send it back.

M.

mishmich

Postby mishmich » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:36 am

On Thursday night we walked the dog on the beach, and I took the Lidl'd binos with us because it looked so clear. We were both very impressed. The field is extremely wide. Pleiades, is quite distinct, and small. My partner was taken aback by the faint nebulosity that could be seen with M42. Mars was obviously too small to see any detail, but was clearly seen as an orange orb, rather than a star. It was difficult keeping the binos still enough to get a stable view of Saturn, but I did get glimpses of it being an orb with ring(s) - and if we had taken a tripod, the basic outline would have been possible. I was quite impressed how sharp the views were, the wide FOV, and the numbers of stars that were revealed - and do feel they are very suited to being a pair of grab-and-go binos used mainly for finding one's way around.

M.

mishmich

Postby philip pugh » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:43 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: MishMich

On Thursday night we walked the dog on the beach, and I took the Lidl'd binos with us because it looked so clear.  We were both very impressed.  The field is extremely wide.  Pleiades, is quite distinct, and small.  My partner was taken aback by the faint nebulosity that could be seen with M42.  Mars was obviously too small to see any detail, but was clearly seen as an orange orb, rather than a star.  It was difficult keeping the binos still enough to get a stable view of Saturn, but I did get glimpses of it being an orb with ring(s) - and if we had taken a tripod, the basic outline would have been possible.  I was quite impressed how sharp the views were, the wide FOV, and the numbers of stars that were revealed - and do feel they are very suited to being a pair of grab-and-go binos used mainly for finding one's way around.

M.

[/quote]

Which means that although Binman is right that you CAN get better deals, these bins are enough to deliver the "wow" factor. I was out doing photo shoots on Thursday, so didn't see anything except the Pleiades and M35.

Did you check out the Beehive (M44)? It is a great target for binoculars and listed in my "Directory of objects to see" on my website. In fact, as I've said on another thread, I'm going to overhaul the beginner section of my website, especially if the cloudy weather continues.
philip pugh

Postby mishmich » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:20 pm

I didn't, but will remember to next time we have the opportunity. I find the site difficult, I'm sorry to say, because of the pop-ups etc.

M.
mishmich

Previous

Return to Equipment Advice