Lidl bino's

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Lidl bino's

Postby ed0001 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi everyone,
Just to let anyone know, they've got binoculars in Lidl again. 10 x 50 they're £13
ed0001

RE: Lidl bino's

Postby sftonkin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Usual caveats: Internal obstructions to the optical path make them effectively 10x40, and QC is such that many are out of collimation. Test in store (see [url=http://astunit.com/tonkinsastro/binoculars/evaluating.htm]here[/url]) and reject any that seem "off".

Still good VFM if you get a good one!
sftonkin

Postby davsiste » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Nice cheap toys for the children at the seaside though and for them to do birdwatching or taking to Scouts, any serious work though, well, you get what you pay for.
davsiste

Postby binman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:26 pm

i made a few £'s selling these on ebay a long while back, whent through a whole pallet load and found about a dozen that were reasonably well collimated with tight bridges and firm focus but most were unusable. got away with taking them all out and inspecting as new staff there.
a year later i went back as they were on offer again to pick up a pair for a friend but could find none in a useable state.
they are nothing special but are just as good as any other binoculars you'll find new for under £50 ish. personally id spend the £13 on a pair of russian bnu5? 8x30's via ebay, a little better opticaly and much tougher build
binman

Postby ed0001 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:33 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: sftonkin

Usual caveats: Internal obstructions to the optical path make them effectively 10x40, and QC is such that many are out of collimation. Test in store (see [url=http://astunit.com/tonkinsastro/binoculars/evaluating.htm]here[/url]) and reject any that seem "off".

Still good VFM if you get a good one!
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice Stephen.

[quote]ORIGINAL: davsiste

Nice cheap toys for the children at the seaside though and for them to do birdwatching or taking to Scouts, any serious work though, well, you get what you pay for.
[/quote]

That's right, you get what you pay for. I recently paid for a Skymax 127 Mak, but as a 'newbie', I find these binoculars help me to navigate the skies in order to learn. They are sharp, allow me to see things which can't be seen with the naked eye. If you read the forums, you will find a number of people state that these cheap bins offer good vfm.
What binoculars do you own? A £1000 pair no doubt. Is my skymax 127 a nice cheap toy for the children?

As I said, the Lidl binoculars may not offer amazing views of the night sky, but I am new to this, learning, as I'm sure you once were.
So please try to be more tolerant towards 'newbies'. Good manners cost nothing.
http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/fb.asp?m=108392&key=
I'm sure it costs nothing not to be sarcastic to people who are not as knowlegable or as wealthy as you.

Sorry for the rant but as a new astronomer I feel your 'horse is a little high'.
ed0001

Postby mishmich » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:50 am

I was in Lidl's yesterday and they still had a few of these, so I bought a pair. The boxes were all sealed, apart from one that had been pretty well handled. So, I took a chance. I do have other bins. One unbranded 10x40, one Tasco 16x50, both over 20 years old - but I am not keen on them (old, heavy, and left to me 15 years ago, and wouldn have been 'budget' when bought). I have one pair of 'mini' binos from Jessops (waste of time for somebody boss-eyed - bought 10 years ago for a cruise). I also have a pair of Lidl's 10-30 x 60 zooms, which are OK at between 15 & 20 x mag, but TBH are a pain because not only do you have to refocus when changing the mag outside 15-20 x, but I have discrepant eyes (one is more long-sighted than the other, and am a bit boss-eyed), and at the extremes, I have to re-adjust the single eye-focus as well. I also have one of the Aldi 60mm spotting scopes - which for £20 is quite a nice portable little scope, more use as a daylight spotter than night time use (it is sold as a spotter); I could see as much of M42 with it as I could with my ED80, although a narrower FOV, not such sharp stars, and more CA - as one would expect comparing a £20 scope against a £350 scope.

These cheap Lidl binos have certain advantages over any of the others I own. They are light, and have a wider field of view than any of them, and the image they yield is crisper. There is some CA, but that is to be expected in something at this price. The one thing that is noticeable is depth. When I use the 16x50 or 10x40 or the Lidl zoom binos, what I see is an image with depth. When I use these, looking at roof-tops of houses whose gardens back on to mine, what I see looks like a series of flat objects, like a child's pop-up book. But, when I looked at a pigeon on a neighbour's chimney, the image is crisp and clear.

Are they well collimated? I wouldn't have a clue. If I hold them at arm's length, I get two small light circles about 6mm across, and as I tilt the binos right to left, these circles move across the eyepiece and retain their shape.

If I get clear skies again, I will test these then - I doubt this depth of field effect will be an issue looking at objects in the night sky, and as I want them to be able to scan and find things, then I think these will be sufficient; wider FOV will be a benefit. Ideally, I would like some 15/20 x 70's, but they are much dearer and a lower priority compared with other things I can waste money on. I am sure there are better bins for £45, but I doubt there are better ones for this price - and these are better than the Lidl zoom binos on offer a couple of months ago, or budget binos sold 20 years ago. They will take an adapter for tripod mounting, and are very light.

For somebody on a tight budget who is looking for something to get started with, these seem to fit that bill - and if somebody decides to upgrade to something better after a few months, these are so cheap they could be left in a car as a spare, or sold on eBay.

M.
mishmich

Postby davsiste » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:50 am

[quote]Sorry for the rant but as a new astronomer I feel your 'horse is a little high'.[/quote]

Actually if you care to look back at all the previous comments about these you will see many more people than I say they are rubbish or cheap or take care.

In fact we have three pair of Opticron binoculars at £80 each, meaning they would have cost as little as £25-30 to manufacture, so that means the cheap lidl ones cost about £2.50 to make, which we also have three pair of for the beach as I do not care if these get damaged.

In fact of the eight pair I tried NONE gave sharp images at night.

May I also suggest you look back at the superb review of binoculars by the Sky at Night magazine for the facts about binoculars.

[b]And I fully agree with what BINMAN says.[/b]

Personally I would advise anyone looking for a decent pair to check out used ones at £25ish from ebay, pay by paypal and you can return them if they are poor.

Regards
davsiste

Postby spartacus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:40 am

Hi Ed, I got a pair of the Bresser 10x50 over here, checked through a few boxes & came out with a pair that are pin sharp. We all know they're not Zeiss, just check ut a few pairs if possible.

If you're on a budget which some folk aren't, these will do fine !

Keef
spartacus

Postby mishmich » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:30 am

I understood from another forum that these were unbranded Bresser/Meade binos, with Bak4 prisms.

I am very skeptical about calculating manufacture costs from retail prices. Economies of scale mean that manufacturers will use/adapt the production line to produce differently priced products using the same plant & materials. Ferric Oxide tapes were all made to a certain spec, but D90's tended to be AD90's packaged and sold cheaper (selling a higher-spec than advertised is no crime). Single-sided 3.5" floppies tended to be double-sided floppies sold cheaper. So, I don't find it unreasonable to suggest that during a recession a manufacturer may use a higher-spec production line to turn out an unbranded product aimed at the budget market to increase cash-flow and yeild a small profit.

If you have a look around the Bresser offerings, these Lidl binos appear to be the same as Bresser-Praktica binos, which have BAK7 rather than the BAK4 prisms. The packaging does not claim BAK4 or BAK7, only a 'High quality prism'. The Bresser-Meade equivalents are BAK4, but there are cosmetic differences. The answer is on the binos themselves, which state 'BaK-4'. That is confirmed in my 'arms-length test'. Exit pupil is prefectly round. Whichever Bresser variants they are, they are 1/3 the cost of anything similar at MRP, and half the price such items get marked up at in sales.

M.

mishmich

Postby sftonkin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:26 pm

I haven't seen this latest batch (I do my Lidl shopping on alternate Saturdays), but the previous times they've done this, they were Bressers with BaK-4 prisms.

To check if they are BaK-4 or BK-7 (there is no such thing as BAK-7), check the exit pupils at arms' length; if they are BK-7 there will be four overlapping small grey-blue (usually) segments surrounding a central clear square.
sftonkin

Next

Return to Equipment Advice