Life is not special?

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

RE: Life is not special?

Postby spartacus » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:53 pm

I find it amusing that, even though no lifeform of any description has been found off this planet, that only intelligent extra-terrestrial life is good enough to rate as a major breakthrough !
This is a bit of a tall order considering the time the evolutionary process took to produce Homo sapiens (self proclaimed apotheosis of the animal kingdom) & then we're also assuming the synchronisation of any other life supporting planets to be on a par with our own level of advancement ! [&:]

Keef
spartacus

Postby brianb » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:16 pm

[quote]Homo sapiens (self proclaimed apotheosis of the animal kingdom)[/quote]
Geocentricity again - or species centred. [i]H. sap.[/i] is a total liability to everything else on Earth ... and the truly dominant life forms are [i]bacteria[/i] without which all "higher" plants and animals would be completely sunk.
brianb

Postby lancashire astroguy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:20 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: brianb

[quote]Homo sapiens (self proclaimed apotheosis of the animal kingdom)[/quote]
Geocentricity again - or species centred. [i]H. sap.[/i] is a total liability to everything else on Earth ... and the truly dominant life forms are [i]bacteria[/i] without which all "higher" plants and animals would be completely sunk.

[/quote]

Self-loathing will not get us anywhere Brian!

I've got nothing against bacteria. In fact I have a few trillion of the useful little blighters in my intestines and I'm proud to consider them my friends! I would be having kittens with excitement if anything like bacteria were found on Mars or Europa.

However, you have to admit that on a planet crowded with amazing and astonishing things, there is nothing as amazing and astonishing as Homo Sapiens. We have our faults for sure, and you are right that we are a liability to many other species. However, have you considered that we are the only species that has ever existed which is [i]worried[/i] about our liability to other species? I'm an optimist and I don't think we have even begun to reach our true potential. Flying to the moon or splitting the atom is child's play compared to what we could be capable of doing.

James
lancashire astroguy

Previous

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question