Switch to mobile style

light pollution

A place to discuss the dreaded orange glow

light pollution

Postby crazy about stars » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:33 am

Hi ya I live where there is very little light pollution and always think about all the other astronmers that have limted times
the can look at the stars due to light pollution in there area

sad

crazy about stars
crazy about stars

RE: light pollution

Postby jackatron » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Where I Live The Light Pollution Is Moderate However There Is A StreetLight Just Under Where Saturn Is At Around 11 O Clock, Its Still Viewable However My Veiw Is Spoiled. My Solution? I Climbed Up The Light And Threw An Old Jumper Over It For My Stargazing Duration... Commitment Or What?! [;)][:D]

J
jackatron

Postby pilp » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:23 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jackatron

Where I Live The Light Pollution Is Moderate However There Is A StreetLight Just Under Where Saturn Is At Around 11 O Clock, Its Still Viewable However My Veiw Is Spoiled. My Solution? I Climbed Up The Light And Threw An Old Jumper Over It For My Stargazing Duration... Commitment Or What?! [;)][:D]

J
[/quote]
Wow,now thats dedication!!!!
pilp

Postby natalie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:06 am

Hi

I live in a small village in West Cornwall, my view of the North is none existent due to several large orange monsters. My view of the southern sky is pretty good I have to say, and I can use my 8 inch reflector without much interference. However, I have recently learnt that across the road from me (yes south!!!) that there is a proposal for more housing. This is worrying me, as the area is more than likely to have more street lights which will stop any viewing due to the close proximity. Now the thing is that most villagers are quite happy for this to go ahead and if it is given the green light I can't see that me or anyone else for that matter having any impact on the situation. As for the local counsellors, they seem to prefer sitting with their fingers up their.... erm yes, clock watching before going to the pub up the road.

I have had the joy of being in a relatively dark area (looking south) and can take my equipment outside pretty much freely as I choose. I have had several villagers come by, who stop and talk to me about the sky and I have then shown them various celestial objects before they trot off for the evening. Now if these plans do go forward and I attend the meetings held locally, personally I can't see for one moment that they would let a very amateur 21 year old astronomer get in the way of their big idea. [:@]

Natalie [:(]

natalie

Postby sftonkin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:53 pm

@Natalie: Contact the [url=http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/]Campaign for Dark Skies[/url]; they will both advise and help you.
sftonkin

Postby jackatron » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:30 pm

I Can See Your View On How You Feel You Wouldn't Make A Difference To The Coucils Plans, But Come On Join Up With Everyone Else In Your Village, You On Your Own Cant Stop Them But You Could Help Towards It.. Im Sure There Are Many Other Astronomers In Your Area... COME ONN FIGHT! [:D]

Good Luck![:D]

J
jackatron

Postby nighthawk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:53 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jackatron

Where I Live The Light Pollution Is Moderate However [color=#CCFF66]There Is A StreetLight Just Under Where Saturn Is At Around 11 O Clock, Its Still Viewable However My Veiw Is Spoiled. My Solution? I Climbed Up The Light And Threw An Old Jumper Over It For My Stargazing Duration...[/color] Commitment Or What?! [;)][:D]

J
[/quote]
A .22 rifle and a good aim might help too.[:D] (Don't quote me!)
nighthawk

Postby drechana » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:53 pm

Hey Natalie

Sad to hear that. Where abouts are you? I just came back from a holiday in Carnyorth which I took my 8" reflector to and it was really good there. Would have been better down at the cape as there are a few street lights in Carnyorth but its so much better than Portsmouth. As someone else said contact those campaigners, you would be surprised at what you can achieve.

Also if you cant stop anything then see if you can get a petition signed forcing them to install low sodium lighting. They should be doing that anyway but if not at least it is something! I used to live in Camborne and I really dont think I would have got much viewing done there!

Good luck with it all and next time I am down there I will give you a shout and we can compare buckets! lol

Drec
drechana

Return to Light Pollution