Light pollution - the good, the bad and the ugly

A place to discuss the dreaded orange glow

RE: Light pollution - the good, the bad and the ugly

Postby pilp » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:43 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: drechana

Put the kettle on then Pilp lol

[/quote]
I could probably find space in the fields for a few people, never seen a horse looking at the stars before but then again i cant see for the cloud!![:(]
pilp

Postby les » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:06 pm

HI There,
Im luckier than most my site is in a rural area and my nearest lamp post is about a mile away.All the LP is to the north and a little to the west.My eastern and southern aspect is very dark with only a couple of very small villages to the south.Midlothian council have been very good over the last few years and most of the polluting lamps have been replaced,and I have seen a improvement here.Theres been a few new roundabouts built to the north with new lamposts one visible from my site but their soft light and downward pointing and are not really a problem.Even with the lights of Edinburgh I can still easily see all the figure stars of Ursa Minor and about eight stars within The Square Of Pegasus and the summer star cloud so musent grumble.[:)]
Regards Les.
les

Postby brian mac » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Hellow drechana,
[i]I had that problem with alight like that, and you can ask them nicely to
tilt it down as it is shining on your property, if they say no, you can inform them
that it is illegal to have nuisance lighting and you will inform the council and
they will have a look and they could be find and ordered it removed.
I did this and the building concerned tilted there lights down....[size="3"]brian mac[/size]
[/i]
brian mac

Postby drechana » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks Brian I will give that a go :O)

drechana

Postby apollomatt » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:16 pm

Hello

My area (Newcastle Under Lyme) like many others suffers from LP, the usual orange skyglow from a city of sodium vapour lights is bad enough but local residents security lights are my pet hate. They are harsh and spoil might night vision. Local laws regarding LP are a waste like many other laws which mean well but are practically unenforceable.

I have the usual neighbours who think when i have my scope in the back garden i'm looking through windows!

My way of coping is I now spend most of my time with lunar and planetary viewing as this is obviously still enjoyable. Deep sky stuff is out of the question. I do have some Celestron LPR binoculars and the filter does help a little. The Orion Nebula and Andromeda are viewable, just.

Regards

Matt
apollomatt

Postby davidm61 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Hello

I live in Manchester, well about 4 miles out of the centre, but still within Mnachester itself, and the light pollution is appalling. My back garden is awash from street lights, to the extent that you can very nearly read a newpaper in it at night without the need for a torch!! However, that said, I am always surprised at what I can actually see on nights of good transparancy and seeing - not, unfortunately, that we get many of thoses anyway at the moment - for example the Ring and Dumbell nebulas, Cats eye Nebula, Andromoda galaxy, Great Orion nebula and obviously the planets and moon. Using filters helps immensely, e.g. OIII, LPR, Neodymium etc.

To give an idea of comparative sites I'll post a photo taken from my back garden and one taken from a place in the Cotswolds that I go to. Both photos were taken on the same DSLR, using the same settings and exposure time etc. Although the camera picks up most of the stars from my back garden, (using the mark one eyeball you just can't see as many) compare the sky glow in the two photos. First up, the view from my back garden.

[image]local://4803/0D9C1181D28C4D4CA0E12201C9328778.jpg[/image]
davidm61

Postby davidm61 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:26 pm

And the view from the Cotswolds site.

[image]local://4803/57444C16C8AE45AFAAF56E45D5D6CA95.jpg[/image]
davidm61

Postby darwinian » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi there,

I posted a short Time Lapse clip onto my YouTube page recently of Orion here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m8YytzTpNk

This was taken about 7 miles north of Banbury between 22:00 - 23:15 - you can see how much light pollution still scorches the sky from the main town & also small villages dotted around.

This LP is not obvious when viewing through scopes in this spot & the thin whisps of cloud may have amplified the problem but it just goes to show how much LP is unnecessarily thrown skyward.

A single shot that formed part of the image sequence:
[image]http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/upfiles.aspx/4324/D127871BCFF4474BAF4AAD7CC7E8466B.jpg[/image]
darwinian

Postby splog » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi all

I visit Stockton on Tees quite regularly and believe it to have some of the worst light pollution in the UK! The area around the Tees Barrage is so bad you really can read a newspaper at night in the middle of winter. This is a shot i took a couple of years ago showing The Moon and Venus despite the light pollution ...
[image]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/3244644835_35eea0c255_o.jpg[/image]

splog

Postby starhunter55 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:40 pm

Please do not be offended,DavidM61 i made small changes in
photoshop, and Iview...even though its a pain it seem to improve the pic,in removing some street lights.

[image]local://5090/D36B85D0E8194EE3A7C204C818580498.jpg[/image]
starhunter55

PreviousNext

Return to Light Pollution