lights out

Postby dellboy » Thu May 21, 2009 11:26 pm

this must be the way forward (i hope)
at least its a start
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/8061330.stm

dellboy

RE: lights out

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sat May 23, 2009 12:43 am

I've always maintained that lighting on motorways is a waste of money and can be done without. All you need is the lights on your car. If thats not enough for you then you shouldnt be driving.
lukeskywatcher

Postby brianb » Sat May 23, 2009 1:16 am

[quote]All you need is the lights on your car.[/quote]
Those are the best lights to do without - they shine horizontally & dazzle other drivers.

Why not invoke Darwin & ban road & vehicle lighting altogether. The survivors will be those who are best fitted to night driving, or stick to driving during the day ... [:D]
brianb

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sat May 23, 2009 2:06 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: brianb

[quote]All you need is the lights on your car.[/quote]
Those are the best lights to do without - they shine horizontally & dazzle other drivers.

Why not invoke Darwin & ban road & vehicle lighting altogether. The survivors will be those who are best fitted to night driving, or stick to driving during the day ... [:D]

[/quote]

I'm not bothered about other drivers being dazzled. I mean get rid of all lights on motorways and give us astronomers a better change of seeing something other then the moon.

If that doesnt work...we'll go with your suggestion.
lukeskywatcher

Postby pulsar » Sat May 23, 2009 6:00 am

I reckon that all streetlights and office building lights should have sensors that shut the light off after 10 mins if nothing breaks the IR beam. How easy is that to do?.

answer very easy as most of the alarm systems nowadays run on IR technology the upgrades would be a piece of cake.
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sat May 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Wild animals would set off the street lights every few minutes. The lights would stay on for 10 mins and as soon as they go off another animal would come along and set them off again. Its a game they like to play with us.

What we need is glow in the dark street lights. Just the poles.....no bulbs.
lukeskywatcher

Postby pulsar » Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Not if you use thermal sensor's set to only react to a heat source comparable to a human heat signature.

I have seen such systems in use that were designed so that bat populations were not affected as IR sensor sometimes screw with thier echo-location.

So it certainly is do-able.
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri May 29, 2009 12:20 am

Most mammals share the same internal body temp, so a thermal sensor would pick up a mouse as quickly as it would a human.
lukeskywatcher

Postby brianb » Fri May 29, 2009 10:53 am

[quote]a thermal sensor would pick up a mouse as quickly as it would a human.[/quote]
Not true, it's a question of the area detected as well as the temperature. A mouse would have to get within a few inches of the sensor to have as much heat profile as a human at 10 yards. It's not too much effort to adjust IR sensors so they reject small animals (up to cat sized) & still register humans.
brianb

Postby jon d » Fri May 29, 2009 12:50 pm

I've upgraded all the lighting in the common parts of the buildings I manage to either motion sensor or timed push buttons at the entrances to corridors. Its really easy and not expensive, and we're saving loads on power consumption

I am really happy to see they're trying out turning those bloody highway lamps off. Its so depressing driving around looking for a dark spot when all you can see on the horizon is that sickly orange haze.

If they're worried about people not being able to see where the road goes, surely all they'd need to do is put cats eye type reflectors on the sides of the roads so you can see where the bends are? or at the very most, just small aircraft runway type ligths. Its just not necessary to be able to see every detail of the scenery at night..
jon d

Next

Return to Astro Alerts