Logitech C270 Convert to Astro Cam

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Logitech C270 Convert to Astro Cam

Postby Heliotrope » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:56 am

Hi there

I'm in the middle of converting a Logitech C270 into an astro cam. I am moving the whole circuit over into a small enclosure from maplins as this will be 'squarer' and allow easier fitting and alignment of the film case on the front.

There seems to be 2 different thought on 2 parts of this mod. the infra red filter and the lens. Has been either left in place or removed in various projects. What is the best why to go for the best outcome and what other pieces of equipment will benefit the use of the cam in either guise?
Heliotrope

Re: Logitech C270 Convert to Astro Cam

Postby Aratus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Using a 'web cam' as a imager is fairly simple. It is mostly a matter of adapting the casing to attach to the telescope draw tube. Any lenses are normally removed since it is usual to get an image through the prime focus. (That is the objective lens or mirror projects an image directly on the chip) The infrared filter is normally retained as the infrared light focuses in a different spot to normal visual light. The only time you might remove the filter is if you wanted to image in Infrared. You would then add an infrared pass filter. This would really only apply to a monochrome camera.

So, unless you have specific reasons to do otherwise, remove the lens and retain the filter.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Heliotrope » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:03 pm

Hello There

Ok that covers me to start. Thank you. I shall get on and finish assembling the cam in it's new case. I have a 35mm film case to use as the adapter. The enclosure Is a 3" x 1 1/2" x 3/4" Hammond project case from Maplins.

Removed the mic and LED from the board and it still works :)
Heliotrope

Postby Heliotrope » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:39 pm

Hello there

Pleased to say the Astro Cam is built and functional. Although cloudy tonight the moon was visible enough to be a target. It was pretty damn good to. Extracted this image from the AVI.

Cheers
Attachments
Moon.jpg
From Avi to Jpg
Moon.jpg (61.99 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Heliotrope

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Very nice.
What are you using for capturing the AVI? I use SharpCap, which has some controls to allow you to adjust the exposure, gain and contrast as the AVI is captured. Being designed for Astro use, it has some useful other features too (it's not the only one, but its the one I use).

Also, have you tried using Registax or AutoStakkert2 for stacking the images from the whole AVI yet? Some people find that Autostakkert2 is better at stacking, but Registax has wavelets - so you can sharpen the image at different scale sizes. So get both and stack in AS2 , then process the image further in Registax.

Enjoy.
You should also be able to image Venus to see the phase of the planet, and Jupiter should look good if you're up into the early hours.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Heliotrope » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:20 pm

Hello there

Currently I have wxastrocapture, I'm a linux user, and have Autostakkart on but I need to phaff around and convert the video to a type Autostakkert will except. I used Avidemux to extract the jpeg out. Lots to learn and know there are other softwares to try.

Currently the weather is cloudy but definably looking to Venus and Jupiter which I have eye balled already. Great fun! I am hoping to get a single motor drive soon for auto tracking to ease the collection of images.

Cheers
Heliotrope

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:53 pm

I have the Bresser electronic eyepiece but have only been able to try it once.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question