Looking for a new telescope

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Looking for a new telescope

Postby warcalf » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi everyone.

I have recently rekindled my interest and fascination for astronomy. I've been doing some selenography just for the sake of it really with my current hand down telescope, which is great for lunar observation, but lacking for anything else.

So I'm looking to upgrade now. I'd like a telescope that will enable me to practice planetary observation. However, as I've never bought a telescope before, I have absolutely no clue where to start! I would ideally like to spend around £300 max. I have no idea if this estimation is over ambitious or if I can find something fitting for that valuation.

But any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)
warcalf

Re: Looking for a new telescope

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:34 pm

For £319 you can get a 127mm Mak Cas on a motorised AltAz mount which would give you good views.
The field of view is small, so there are limitations for more general use, but it's pretty good for planets.
On my phone so no idea how this link will turn out

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sky- ... anpm8p8haq

Available elsewhere of course, no particular recommendation being made
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby warcalf » Sun May 08, 2016 1:24 pm

V79952-2.jpg
This Vixen
V79952-2.jpg (23.43 KiB) Viewed 2528 times

Hi there, thanks for your advice. But I'm more so after a slightly upgraded refractor for what I think I need.

I've been looking at a few different options. Thoughts on this Vixen, it's got a PORTA II Altazimuth Mount with a A80Mf Optical Tube.
warcalf

Postby Supercooper » Tue May 17, 2016 9:51 am

Hi,

Perhaps you would like some impartial advice on telescope choice. Before you choose something that might not satisfy your needs.

Have a look at my guide here>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Choosing-Your ... 783/g.html

(See my thread 'Astronomy Doesn't Have to be Expensive' in this forum.)
I amuses me when people say they have so much to spend - Like this has any bearing on the equipment you will get. I've got a 10" Newtonian I payed £72 for, a 120mm XLT Refractor that is perfect that I payed £120 for and numerous others (See the thread).
Unless you are certain you want a NEW telescope you could get a much better telescope than you think you can 'afford' by selecting a second hand instrument from people who have given up on astronomy and are selling off for peanuts!

All my telescope guides are available at http://supercooper.jimdo.com

Hope this helps, Barry Cooper
________________________________________________________________________________________
For My FREE Telescope Help Website: http://supercooper.jimdo.com/

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Postby Aratus » Tue May 17, 2016 1:50 pm

If it is mainly planets you want to look at then a refractor is a good choice. The one you mention is a lightweight, generous 3" refractor, (which is a nice size) and will be easy to transport to suitable locations.
Just bear in mind that this is not a 'computerised' telescope and has no 'drive'. Frankly I don't think finding planets manually is a difficult thing anyway. The 'Porta' mounts looks interesting, and you should easily be able to move the telescope to follow the planet while you are looking at it.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby warcalf » Tue May 17, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi guys, so I already have purchased a new telescope, an 8" Dobsonian Reflector is the telescope of choice. I haven't been able to get hands on with it just yet. But it had nothing but 5* reviews and was highly recommended for someone of my level. Bulky, yes, but quality assured.

Didn't want to go for something second hand, as I've been heavily advised it's not worth the risk. But I'm open to it for future buys Supercooper!

So we'll see how the Dobsonian does! Thanks for all advice :)
warcalf

Return to Equipment Advice