Lots of proms...

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Lots of proms...

Postby Pete Lawrence » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:20 am

A fairly active Sun yesterday

[url=http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/proms.html]http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/proms.html[/url]
Pete Lawrence

RE: Lots of proms...

Postby jsc248 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:10 am

Beautiful pictures Peter, I still don't understand why the Sun is so active at this point in the cycle? Strange!!
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby wgater » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:00 pm

Amazing photos Pete!! Seems the Sun is happy to put on a show for us, even near Solar minimum! Wonderful shots of the prominence arcing out, and the granulation on the surface. Is that granulation through the H-alpha PST or is it a superimposed 'white light' image? I don't remember seeing those sorts of colours through a PST.
wgater

Postby jsc248 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi Will,
just visited the website and the blog site. Some beautiful images and an incredible ammount of info on there. Will be visiting often.
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby gammalog » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:23 pm

Stunning pics from the PST Pete, the bigger 'prom' looks more like you'd expect to see from a Solar Max 40, rather than the PST.

I'm just about to venture into Solar imaging for the first time, and have this morning ordered a Thousand Oaks filter (non Ha), to have a 'crack' at some of the Sun Spot groups that have been appearing recently.

As John says, quite a lot of activity considering we are around the minimium of the 'cycle'.

Dave
gammalog

Postby Pete Lawrence » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:20 pm

[quote]I don't remember seeing those sorts of colours through a PST. [/quote]

Hi Will, it's more of a convention for posting solar images rather than what you'd actually see colourwise - which would just be red of course!
Pete Lawrence

Postby wgater » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:53 pm

Right Pete I see, (it looks cool too!). Dave's right those images do look like they were taken from a lot bigger H-alpha scope!! Amazing.

Thanks John, I do try to keep my astronomy sites up-to-date. My blog has the most recent updated astronomy stuff I'm doing, and when I get back to uni i'll prob put some more stuff on my academic site.

wgater

Postby big dipper » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:53 pm

As somebody posted on another thread, it just goes to show that we still have alot to learn about our nearest star - as well as the universe in general.
big dipper

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches