It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:29 pm

News News of The Magazine

Site map of The Magazine » Forum : The Magazine

Big comets

Hello everyone, I am new here and have a question.

In the latest issue of the magazine, there's an article about Kuiper Belt objects and comets. In there it says that some comets can be vast, even larger than the Sun.
Surely that is a mistake, I can't see how you could have a comet that is larger than a star, whatever its density. Has anyone else read this?

Chris
Read more : Big comets | Views : 1819 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General

American prices

My Meade telescope gained considerably in cost on its journey across the Atlantic to me, as do many other USA imports. So why is it that Sky and Telescope magazine, which is $6.99 in the USA, only costs £2.95 in the UK when, going by today's exchange rate, it should be £3.92?

I guess I shouldn't complain but it'd be nice if telescope prices worked like that!

Cheers,
John.

Read more : American prices | Views : 1133 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General

Light-Bridge dobsonians.

Hi all ,im new to Astronomy & i havent got a scope yet, but in thinking of geting the new LIGHT BRIDGE DOBSONIANS from meade the 10" could any one tell me if it is a good scope or not .
Thanks
Orbiter.
Read more : Light-Bridge dobsonians. | Views : 1961 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General

Wish List For Technical Articles

Let's begin a list of stuff we'd like to see in S@N mags in the future.

I'll kick off with a few of my ideas:

Guide to Astroimaging - techniques and equipment - could be a muti-part series

Comparison of different types of scope, along with images taken using them, showing each type/size's potential.

Guide to buying equipment in general - so many types/prices - especially for eyepieces - what is a typical "split" for ...
Read more : Wish List For Technical Articles | Views : 1548 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General

What is your favourite/least favourite astronomy magazine?

There will probably be an urge here to say the Sky@Night. However, honest feedback will be very useful for the admins here so they can gauge reaction & make any adjustments necessary.

My overall favourite (just pipping S@N) is a little known quarterly publication from the US called Amateur Astronomy. This magazine is written entirely by its readership & editors & is very much an 'amateur' based publication. Though primitive in format, it is thoroughly ...
Read more : What is your favourite/least favourite astronomy magazine? | Views : 11640 | Replies : 46 | Forum : General

Star of Bethlehem

There could only be one astronomical question at this time of year, namely "What was the Star of Bethlehem?"
The link below takes you to a past "Question and Answer" session with PM. IN this he expresses his facour for the meteor theory, which explains the movement and the fact that we have only the biblical reference to it.
I have devised an extension of this theory, which changes the meteor into a small asteroid ...
Read more : Star of Bethlehem | Views : 1818 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General

Happy Christmas to all our readers

I'd like to wish all our readers a Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year.

Thanks to you, it's been a hugely successful year for us. When we launched the magazine we had no idea it would go down as well as it has, or that we'd have so many favourable messages from amateur astronomers around the world. It may be our "day job" but great feedback truly makes the whole effort worthwhile for ...
Read more : Happy Christmas to all our readers | Views : 1926 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General

Orbiter 2005

Hello
The new magazine arrived yesterday, with Orbiter on the CD. I wondered how long it would be before Orbiter was included. If you haven't tried it already, I can tell you that Orbiter is a superb space flight simulator. Written by Dr Martin Schweiger, it has a pretty steep learning curve on account of its depth, but don't let that put you off. As you learn Orbiter you learn lots of stuff about orbits, ...
Read more : Orbiter 2005 | Views : 2878 | Replies : 7 | Forum : General

I passed! YEY!

Got these through the post this morning from the Open University!, am soo pleased
http://gallery.treweeke.com/albums/userpics/10005/normal_Pass1.jpg

http://gallery.treweeke.com/albums/userpics/10005/normal_cert.jpg

http://gallery.treweeke.com/albums/userpics/10005/normal_cert_001.jpg
Read more : I passed! YEY! | Views : 2909 | Replies : 8 | Forum : General

Question

Anyone know what this section is for??
Read more : Question | Views : 6608 | Replies : 21 | Forum : First Light and Group Test

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 131896 • Total topics 20226 • Total members 145740