It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:20 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Eclipse from Hove Uk - Photo attached.

Hi,

Well I dug out my little 80mm refractor, stuck it on the balcony, fitted the solar filter, and aligned it.

Sat there waiting to see the sun throught all the thick clouds we have here - then it popped out. Snapped a few shots and here is the clearest.

BTW the image was captured with a little Nikon 4200 and eyepiece projection (25mm wide angle).

http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/albumtn.aspx/mid_865-6AAE367485894F639FA3886EFE0EEBBE.jpg

Steve.
Read more : Eclipse from Hove Uk - Photo attached. | Views : 1443 | Replies : 14

Eclipse

I am writing this while viewing the partial eclipse. I use a piece of no.14 welding glass to view through so the sun appears green. The Moon is now slowly receding but at maximum it covered some 70% of the face of the sun.
Read more : Eclipse | Views : 1163 | Replies : 9

EYEBALL SICKNESS

Does anyone get it? I do, let me explain: looking at pictures in mags of astronomy you get the impression that you could never do something like it yourself, then you see images from our members and they are brilliant, I holehartedly congratulate all thoes who produce these images. I myself have not got the patiance for anything other than the moon and sun, But allso in my opinion there is no subsitute for eyeballing ...
Read more : EYEBALL SICKNESS | Views : 2072 | Replies : 21

www.astroshots.co.uk - Guestbook added.

Hi,

As some of you suggested I should add a guestbook to my web site - well I have :-)

http://www.astroshots.co.uk

Ta.

Steve.
Read more : www.astroshots.co.uk - Guestbook added. | Views : 798 | Replies : 2

DIY Electronic scope focuser - no more wobbles.

Hi,

I have updated info on my site on how to build a simple electronic focuser for your scope. The hardest part is designing a mounting bracket to fit your type of scope. The example I have made fits a Celestron 114 or 130 GT (not SLT - different mounts).

If you can use a hacksaw and have a drill - you could make one easily. I don't have a garage or workshop - in ...
Read more : DIY Electronic scope focuser - no more wobbles. | Views : 560 | Replies : 4

More "artwork"

At the suggestion of another member of the forum ..I have created a new album in the Sketches/Artwork section in the Photo Gallery.

Only 1 image used any "real" data. ( An image from the Huygens descent.) And this wasn't scientifically accurate, just conversion of low resolution greyscale bitmap to approximate heightfield.

C&C welcome

Well.. I've got to do something to keep me busy while this water vapour continues to impede my vision.

Rgds
Chris ...
Read more : More "artwork" | Views : 799 | Replies : 7

I need some help with eyepieces

I was lucky to receive a telescope for Christmas, but to be quite honest I do not have much of an idea apart from aiming and looking.

my question is, I have a 114mm reflector with a 500mm focal length and a 10mm and 4mm lens. What is the strongest eyepiece I could use without loosing clarity? I have a 3x Barlow lens but I do not have much luck with it. Thanks for any ...
Read more : I need some help with eyepieces | Views : 470 | Replies : 3

Binocular mount

Hi,
I understand there was advice on making a binocular mount in a back issue. Has anyone tried it? Does it work? Is it easy for the congenitally ham-fisted to make?
Can anyone send me instuctions on how to make it?
Regards
Compostman
Read more : Binocular mount | Views : 296 | Replies : 1

Equatorial platforms

Given the awful weather at the moment( it's been raining here for hours and hours and hours), I have spent a few hours trawling through other forums in search of a way of using my dob for a bit of astro imaging( i know if i wanted to do photography i should have bought a goto or at least and eq mount with ra drive) but the fact remains you get a lot of mirror ...
Read more : Equatorial platforms | Views : 13240 | Replies : 12

telescope question...

my family recently bought my father a telescope ("tasco"), as he has always been facinated by astronomy.

we bought if for him in november and he hasn't used it. i've bought him various books and he's read one but not really shown much of an interest.

i suggested he build himself an observatory, and found him some plans. i then asked why he hadn't used the telescope. he said that 1) its because he hasn't ...
Read more : telescope question... | Views : 1080 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 130429 • Total topics 19819 • Total members 143633