It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Jupiters moons

Hi Gang,
Has anyone tried the Jupiters Moons tool on the Interactive Tools on the S@N website. Great fun and very informative. Gives positions and telescopic and binocular views of the Galileans. Give it a try at http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/interactiveIndex.asp
John.
Read more : Jupiters moons | Views : 353 | Replies : 1

General Moan!!

Hi Gang,
Isn't it about time we got some kind of break with this hobby of ours, is every major or minor event going to be clouded out!!!! The total eclipse of '99, this partial eclipse (yes I know some did see it and I'm extremely jealous!!) and goodness knows how many meteor showers have been lost to the weather!
It's a good job there's so much to see when we do get clear skies ...
Read more : General Moan!! | Views : 1549 | Replies : 13

Astro Binoculars

Hi

I was sat reading my Astronamy mag's the other week, feeling realy ticked of because not hardly got to use my new Skywatcher 6" Evostar scope.

When I thought well if there is a slite clearing in the clouds and it still looks like rain " To risky to set the Scope up",I still can't get out to practIce finding my way around the stars.

I thought if I had a pair of Bin's ...
Read more : Astro Binoculars | Views : 1488 | Replies : 15

Eclipse from Hove Uk - Photo attached.

Hi,

Well I dug out my little 80mm refractor, stuck it on the balcony, fitted the solar filter, and aligned it.

Sat there waiting to see the sun throught all the thick clouds we have here - then it popped out. Snapped a few shots and here is the clearest.

BTW the image was captured with a little Nikon 4200 and eyepiece projection (25mm wide angle).

http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/albumtn.aspx/mid_865-6AAE367485894F639FA3886EFE0EEBBE.jpg

Steve.
Read more : Eclipse from Hove Uk - Photo attached. | Views : 1596 | Replies : 14

Eclipse

I am writing this while viewing the partial eclipse. I use a piece of no.14 welding glass to view through so the sun appears green. The Moon is now slowly receding but at maximum it covered some 70% of the face of the sun.
Read more : Eclipse | Views : 1248 | Replies : 9

EYEBALL SICKNESS

Does anyone get it? I do, let me explain: looking at pictures in mags of astronomy you get the impression that you could never do something like it yourself, then you see images from our members and they are brilliant, I holehartedly congratulate all thoes who produce these images. I myself have not got the patiance for anything other than the moon and sun, But allso in my opinion there is no subsitute for eyeballing ...
Read more : EYEBALL SICKNESS | Views : 2183 | Replies : 21

www.astroshots.co.uk - Guestbook added.

Hi,

As some of you suggested I should add a guestbook to my web site - well I have :-)

http://www.astroshots.co.uk

Ta.

Steve.
Read more : www.astroshots.co.uk - Guestbook added. | Views : 809 | Replies : 2

DIY Electronic scope focuser - no more wobbles.

Hi,

I have updated info on my site on how to build a simple electronic focuser for your scope. The hardest part is designing a mounting bracket to fit your type of scope. The example I have made fits a Celestron 114 or 130 GT (not SLT - different mounts).

If you can use a hacksaw and have a drill - you could make one easily. I don't have a garage or workshop - in ...
Read more : DIY Electronic scope focuser - no more wobbles. | Views : 603 | Replies : 4

More "artwork"

At the suggestion of another member of the forum ..I have created a new album in the Sketches/Artwork section in the Photo Gallery.

Only 1 image used any "real" data. ( An image from the Huygens descent.) And this wasn't scientifically accurate, just conversion of low resolution greyscale bitmap to approximate heightfield.

C&C welcome

Well.. I've got to do something to keep me busy while this water vapour continues to impede my vision.

Rgds
Chris ...
Read more : More "artwork" | Views : 831 | Replies : 7

I need some help with eyepieces

I was lucky to receive a telescope for Christmas, but to be quite honest I do not have much of an idea apart from aiming and looking.

my question is, I have a 114mm reflector with a 500mm focal length and a 10mm and 4mm lens. What is the strongest eyepiece I could use without loosing clarity? I have a 3x Barlow lens but I do not have much luck with it. Thanks for any ...
Read more : I need some help with eyepieces | Views : 495 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 130655 • Total topics 19865 • Total members 143840