It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:15 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Hi everyone
The first clear night for weeks so made the most of it, stayed up until 3am and managed to get a pic of Jupiter boy was it cold -4C. Did anyone else notice the amount of vapor trails from aircraft though, must be a weather thing. Tried to do some a deep sky but having problems with my auto guider. Saw a couple of satellites and a shooting star as well.

Read more : JUPITER | Views : 1038 | Replies : 11

Members' Phots

Just been looking at the photo gallery and glad to see that members are now adding their own albums. Good work.
One thing I don't like about it is the facility to "rate" someone elses efforts. Yes, some will be better quality imagewise (excuse the Americanism) than others, but these all depend on equipment, experience, location, conditions and of course money! All efforts should be commended.
Lets see lots more.
Read more : Members' Phots | Views : 2121 | Replies : 28

Corby club???

Now that I have taken delivery of my lovely Explorer 150 with EQ3-2 I would really love to meet up with people who can help me get the best out of the scope and from whom I can learn more about astronomy as a whole. I live in Corby, so if there is anyone out there who knows of any clubs around here I would be very grateful. A search has of yet yielded no ...
Read more : Corby club??? | Views : 580 | Replies : 6

Short Stories.

Hi Gang,
I hope that you will not mind me posting this but I have found this forum to be full of honest people. I have written two short science fiction stories. I am in the process of laying down the format for turning them into novels but I would dearly like peoples opinion of them. This forum, quite rightly, doesn't allow that kind of posting but I wondred if some of you wouldn't mind ...
Read more : Short Stories. | Views : 408 | Replies : 4

out of box eyepieces.

I have a question on eyepieces.As 'Cloudcover sucks' asked in an earlier post so sorry to ask again.I feel it would be an advatage to upgrade my eyepieces rather than use the ''these are so you can use it''out of the box ones.In the box was x2 barlow,super 25 wide angle long eye relief and super 10mm.All are un-named.Obviously you get what you pay for so the ''super''is to make you think you have dog's ...
Read more : out of box eyepieces. | Views : 373 | Replies : 3

Daylight Savings

I was interested to read the recent posting (can't find it any more!) about the DST settings for GOTO telescopes.
I recently bought a Meade EXT90EC and set the DST to 'yes' thinking this meant that I lived in a region where such adjustments are made (automatic on a PC when requested) - rather than that that was the current mode - so thanks for the clarification that offered.
Read more : Daylight Savings | Views : 237 | Replies : 1

Hi Gang,
I read somewhere recently that there are many astronomers who have never seen the planet Mercury. I observed it during it's last evening appearance. I just wondered whether it was true. Who has and who hasn't seen the little planet? I'd be interested to know!
John jsc248.
Read more : Mercury! | Views : 703 | Replies : 8

Growth of the Forum

Just under a month ago (Feb 27th), John (jsc248) commented the Forum had reached a total of 577 members.

This morning, I note that we have now exceeded the 700 mark, which represents excellent rate of growth for this ever increasingly popular and friendly forum.

Must be very satisfying for Admin to see their Forum's growing popularity.

Read more : Growth of the Forum | Views : 375 | Replies : 3

Saturn with two 3xBarlows

Hi all -
I actually managed to get out for an hour tonight. The sky was very hazy and seeing was moderate but I attempted a couple of pics of Saturn - what do you think?

Although I used 2 barlow lenses to get this image, after processing in Registax, it looked the same size as an image taken with one barlow lens. Can anyone tell me why?

I am such a nonker at times ...
Read more : Saturn with two 3xBarlows | Views : 995 | Replies : 11

Orion Skyview Pro 120 Refractor

Hi, I'm new to this form, and had some questions. I just ordered the Orion Skyview Pro 120 Refractor. Is this a decent scope? Can't seem to find much on it. I know it's not an Apo, but the false color shouldn't be too bad with a 1000mm f8.3. Any input would be great.
Read more : Orion Skyview Pro 120 Refractor | Views : 278 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Total posts 129648 • Total topics 19626 • Total members 142305