It is currently Tue May 24, 2016 4:32 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Daylight Savings

I was interested to read the recent posting (can't find it any more!) about the DST settings for GOTO telescopes.
I recently bought a Meade EXT90EC and set the DST to 'yes' thinking this meant that I lived in a region where such adjustments are made (automatic on a PC when requested) - rather than that that was the current mode - so thanks for the clarification that offered.
Read more : Daylight Savings | Views : 188 | Replies : 1

Mercury!

Hi Gang,
I read somewhere recently that there are many astronomers who have never seen the planet Mercury. I observed it during it's last evening appearance. I just wondered whether it was true. Who has and who hasn't seen the little planet? I'd be interested to know!
John jsc248.
Read more : Mercury! | Views : 626 | Replies : 8

Growth of the Forum

Just under a month ago (Feb 27th), John (jsc248) commented the Forum had reached a total of 577 members.

This morning, I note that we have now exceeded the 700 mark, which represents excellent rate of growth for this ever increasingly popular and friendly forum.

Must be very satisfying for Admin to see their Forum's growing popularity.

Dave
Read more : Growth of the Forum | Views : 316 | Replies : 3

Saturn with two 3xBarlows

Hi all -
I actually managed to get out for an hour tonight. The sky was very hazy and seeing was moderate but I attempted a couple of pics of Saturn - what do you think?

Although I used 2 barlow lenses to get this image, after processing in Registax, it looked the same size as an image taken with one barlow lens. Can anyone tell me why?

I am such a nonker at times ...
Read more : Saturn with two 3xBarlows | Views : 857 | Replies : 11

Orion Skyview Pro 120 Refractor

Hi, I'm new to this form, and had some questions. I just ordered the Orion Skyview Pro 120 Refractor. Is this a decent scope? Can't seem to find much on it. I know it's not an Apo, but the false color shouldn't be too bad with a 1000mm f8.3. Any input would be great.
Read more : Orion Skyview Pro 120 Refractor | Views : 226 | Replies : 1

Saturn puts in appearance

Finally.After waiting a week and a half for the clouds to clear to get a first try with my new telescope,there it was,a GAP in the clouds.I was out there like a exocet missle.Almost lost everything when i tripped on the door step,but no amount of pain in my stubbed toe was going to hold me back,look out man on a mission.Cats scrambled the garden fence like i was a rottweiler bowling down the ...
Read more : Saturn puts in appearance | Views : 469 | Replies : 5

My first attempt at astro photography.....ish!!

Hi all,
Have just got back in from a good viewing session. Saturn was the main focus but had a look at the Beehive Cluster and Mars also. Feel like I'm starting to know what I'm doing a little bit more. Then I had the idea of what if I was to put my mobile phone camera lense upto the eyepiece! Well this is the result. A bit rubbish i agree but amazing what you ...
Read more : My first attempt at astro photography.....ish!! | Views : 547 | Replies : 7

HERSCHEL WEDGE

Has any one seen, looked through or own a herschel wedge, for solar viewing, and are they worth the money(£179)considering we are at the low end of sunspots? they are supposed to be a lot better than white light fillters, but can they be that much better. PST coronado is looking good, but a little pricey BRIAN
Read more : HERSCHEL WEDGE | Views : 231 | Replies : 1

Sky At night on BBC4

Hi Gang,
Did anyone catch the S@N special on BBC 4 on Monday night. A look back at the last 50 years (nearly!) of the S@N , great fun. I really enjoyed that one!
John jsc248.
Read more : Sky At night on BBC4 | Views : 530 | Replies : 6

Galleries

Did you know that you can create your own personal 'members gallery' on this site?

I found out yesterday after I was trying to fathom out what admin meant when they talked about 'galleries' in the Rules & Regulations' section. Just click on the 'Photo Gallery' link at the top of the forum index page & then 'Member photos' & you can go about setting up your own gallery which, in turn, can be linked ...
Read more : Galleries | Views : 248 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 129357 • Total topics 19555 • Total members 141851