It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:44 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Skywatcher EQ5 Mount

Hi

The Skywatcher EQ6 mount can handle a pay load of 25kg (50ibs +), can any say what sort of payload a EQ5 Manual mount can take.

As I am thinking of buying a smaller scope to ride piggy back on a Skywatcher 6" Refractor.

Thanks for any help.

Ken
Read more : Skywatcher EQ5 Mount | Views : 138 | Replies : 1

Evidence of a Multiverse?

I wonder if these two pieces of research are related and whether it could be evidence of a multiverse.

1. Recent studies have shown that our universe may be expanding faster in some directions than in others, leading to a smartie or M&M shaped universe.

2. Research done at Princeton University has shown that smarties/M&Ms shapes will pack more densely than any other shape into a given volume. Click here for details.

I'm not ...
Read more : Evidence of a Multiverse? | Views : 344 | Replies : 5

Seben 8-24mm Super Zoom Plossl Eyepiece

Hi Gang,
I have just bought a 8-24mm zoom eyepiece from German company Seben. On paper the eyepiece looks great and I'm looking forward to using it. has anyone out there got one of these eyepieces or something similar? If so what kind of experiences have you had with it?
I'd like to hear what you think.
Thanks gang.
jsc248
Read more : Seben 8-24mm Super Zoom Plossl Eyepiece | Views : 568 | Replies : 0

many useful links

You might know it already, but i find this site to be v.useful.
http://astronomylinks.com/

Thx
Read more : many useful links | Views : 161 | Replies : 2

Solar Projection

To get more out of my scope I wish to try solar projection.
Firstly, as my scope is an SCT, is there a risk to the corrector lens / plate and or the chosen eyepiece regarding temperature. Obviously I do not wish to overheat and risk cracking of any components.
Secondly, I have seen advertised the various types of filter (Mylar etc) to fit over the end. Assuming I had one of these correctly fitted ...
Read more : Solar Projection | Views : 664 | Replies : 10

Peter Grego Lunar Lecture 25 Feb 06

The second in this year’s 150th anniversary season of 'Penny Lectures' at the Birmingham & Midland Institute takes place on Saturday 25 February 2006 and is entitled:

'All about The Moon'

It is given by Peter Grego, well-known astronomy author, columnist and editor of the SPA's acclaimed 'Popular Astronomy' magazine.

The lecture takes place at 3pm for 3.30pm in the Lyttelton Lecture Theatre at the Institute, which is in Margaret Street in Birmingham city centre ...
Read more : Peter Grego Lunar Lecture 25 Feb 06 | Views : 150 | Replies : 0

Nothing to do with astronomy.

I know this has nothing at all to do with astronomy (except maybe the Southern Cross on their shirts) but did anyone else see the Aussies getting stuffed by Sri Lanka yesterday in the cricket. http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/micons/m16.gifBRILLIANT.http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/micons/m9.gif
Just thought I'd mention it!!
Read more : Nothing to do with astronomy. | Views : 95 | Replies : 0

Optical Film

Hi all

I have the Philip's Moon Observer's Guide Book by Peter Grego.

On page 53 he is talking about the types of telescope he and othere's use.

There is a picture of a 250mm f/4.8 Newtonion reflector, with the aperture covered with a film.

He state's and I quate, "The apeture is covered with optically cleare film to protect the mirrors while in use".

Is there such a film available on the market. I ...
Read more : Optical Film | Views : 230 | Replies : 3

fork mounted scopes

hello all,
I have been a keen armchair astronomer for a few years now and have finally decided to purchase a telescope, as i am keen to do some astrophotography i have read that i need a equatorial mount. The telescope i want to buy is the celestron 8" CPC scope which is fully auto guided. Is this suitable for photography and what type of mount is a fork. Is it an equatorial or a ...
Read more : fork mounted scopes | Views : 346 | Replies : 6

Another Newbie needing help!

I am looking to get a telescope to restart my astronomy hobby. The only scopes I have used before have been 'supermarket' scopes and as such need a bit of advice about the best one to buy.
I am looking to spend £250 - £300 and after doing much searching on the net I have narrowed down my options to the following scopes; Skywatcher skyline 200 8"dob, Celestron C6-N 6"equatorial, Skywatcher Explorer 150 6"equatorial or ...
Read more : Another Newbie needing help! | Views : 527 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 127920 • Total topics 19092 • Total members 138937