It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:41 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Optical Film

Hi all

I have the Philip's Moon Observer's Guide Book by Peter Grego.

On page 53 he is talking about the types of telescope he and othere's use.

There is a picture of a 250mm f/4.8 Newtonion reflector, with the aperture covered with a film.

He state's and I quate, "The apeture is covered with optically cleare film to protect the mirrors while in use".

Is there such a film available on the market. I ...
Read more : Optical Film | Views : 188 | Replies : 3

fork mounted scopes

hello all,
I have been a keen armchair astronomer for a few years now and have finally decided to purchase a telescope, as i am keen to do some astrophotography i have read that i need a equatorial mount. The telescope i want to buy is the celestron 8" CPC scope which is fully auto guided. Is this suitable for photography and what type of mount is a fork. Is it an equatorial or a ...
Read more : fork mounted scopes | Views : 292 | Replies : 6

Another Newbie needing help!

I am looking to get a telescope to restart my astronomy hobby. The only scopes I have used before have been 'supermarket' scopes and as such need a bit of advice about the best one to buy.
I am looking to spend £250 - £300 and after doing much searching on the net I have narrowed down my options to the following scopes; Skywatcher skyline 200 8"dob, Celestron C6-N 6"equatorial, Skywatcher Explorer 150 6"equatorial or ...
Read more : Another Newbie needing help! | Views : 461 | Replies : 9

S@N back copies

Iknew that issue one had gone but just rang hoping to get issue 2 which has some articles of particular interest.
June July and August (1,2,3) now all gone!
Somebody suggested making PDF copies available - I'll say yes to that if a re-print is out of the question.

Anybody want to part with 1,2,3?

Auray

Read more : S@N back copies | Views : 184 | Replies : 3

Imaging

Hi Folks
Recently bit the bullet and got myself the Meade DSI. Not had a chance to use it yet as I aint seen the sky for ages .....but any tips for when I do would be greatly appreciated. BTW I haven't even got a digital camera.
Read more : Imaging | Views : 485 | Replies : 11

Telescope alignment

Hi,
Having just taken receipt of my new scope (Celestron C8-NGT Computerised) I am attempting to align it. This is my first computer controlled set and I'm a bit stuck. Having given the gps position I am attempting to do a quick align as I cannot see three stars from the list from my observing location to undertake a 3 star align. However, when I ask it to move to the moon it is ...
Read more : Telescope alignment | Views : 191 | Replies : 3

Merseyside Astronomy Day.

Hi Gang,
I was just wondering whether any of yhe forum were going to the Merseyside Astronomy Day at the Spaceport centre in Seacombe on March 11th. If anyone is close enough to attend then hopefully I will meet you there!
jsc248
Read more : Merseyside Astronomy Day. | Views : 168 | Replies : 2

Observatory Query

Hi,

Following a visit to Astrofest last weekend I have just bought one of the Popoutside,com portable observatories (Awaiting its arrival this week ! ) - anyone got one / had experience using one - I'd welcome some feedback....

Best Wishes

Richard
Read more : Observatory Query | Views : 114 | Replies : 1

East Antrim AS Meeting 6th Feb.

Everyone

Professor Alan Fitszimmons from the Astrophysics department of Queen's University, Belfast will be speaking on "Deep Impact the Story so Far". The lecture will report on the discoveries of the deep impact mission which impacted comet Tempel 1 in July 2005 with a projectile returning detailed images to earth.

This meeting will be the annual Andrew Trimble Memorial Lecture and will be at the Thompson Primary School, Ballyrobert Antrim, at 8pm.

Everyone welcome.

For ...
Read more : East Antrim AS Meeting 6th Feb. | Views : 97 | Replies : 0

Tonight's Sky at Night on BBC1

Anyone here see this month's programme reporting from Mauna Kea? The range of telescopes there plus the sky conditions make my scope seem like a cheap toy & makes me feel like giving up with what we get in cloudy old Britain.

Certainly very impressive. Is it my imagination - but does Chris Lintott seem to be taking over the reigns of SAN more & more?
Read more : Tonight's Sky at Night on BBC1 | Views : 308 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 127592 • Total topics 18887 • Total members 131290