It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:03 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Rolling roof observatory

Does anyone in the NE, close to Newcastle and preferably north of the city, have an observatory with a roll-off roof as I trying to finalise some drawings to make one, and a look at the real thing would be a great help.

Regards......Tim
Read more : Rolling roof observatory | Views : 108 | Replies : 0

Light pollution problems

My bedroom in Worcester (near Birmingham) looks straight out towards a warehouse which leaves its floodlights on EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! Apart from the obvious astronomiacal implications, it wastes a huge amount of power and it annoys me! My only consolation is having the Malvern Hills fairly close.
Does anyone else have similar problems to me?
Read more : Light pollution problems | Views : 238 | Replies : 3

Meade ETX-105 & Meade LPI question

Hi, I am new to this amazing hobby and have an LPI and an ETX-105 but the software that came with the LPI is (for me) difficult to use. Does anyone have experience of this or can advise how best I can get images please. Ideally I'd like to take pics of planets, galaxies and nebulae
Read more : Meade ETX-105 & Meade LPI question | Views : 501 | Replies : 5

Seben

Has anybody ever heard of Seben telescopes? If so, are they any good?

Here's the link to their website: http://www.seben.com
Read more : Seben | Views : 569 | Replies : 8

newish member

Hi , Ilive in Cornwall but the weather has been atrocious for weeks now.
As a kid I was always interested in astronomy and used to read a lot of stuff on the subject from the library. What rekindled my interest was ( dont laugh!!) the offers at LIDL. Yes I bought the Skylux and a pair of the 10x50s Not had a real chance to try out the scope but the bins seem great, ...
Read more : newish member | Views : 262 | Replies : 3

Steady hand?

Hello just wondering that is there any binocular's that are steady when using them. For some reason on my ones its like watching fireworks. I'd rather not use a tripod as well, I have noticed on other binocular's are more steady the bigger they are could this have something to do with it? Any advice would be great.
Read more : Steady hand? | Views : 522 | Replies : 8

Ce;estron CG5 or Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro

Does anyone have any advice on the choice between these GOTO mounts? I shall be mounting an 80mm Revelation ST Refractor to do some basic imaging with the view to constant upgrades, etc. Is there really £200 worth of difference from the Celestron to the Skywatcher?
Help!!

Thanks in advance folks.

John
Read more : Ce;estron CG5 or Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro | Views : 358 | Replies : 5

Coronada BinoMite White Light Bins

This is a question I buried in another thread so just to give it another airing as a sep post in case anybody has experience of these.

I wonder if anyone has experience of
Coronado BinoMite White Light 10 X 25 Binoculars
for viewing solar activity?
Telescope house sell them - see link below.
Looks like they'd be great for eclipses (eg 29th March partial!)

http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?theLang=001lngdef&pointerid=24225w9xWBUndKX5ROYARug7pGkcJkMY&action=lnk
Read more : Coronada BinoMite White Light Bins | Views : 522 | Replies : 5

Skywatcher EQ5 Mount

Hi

The Skywatcher EQ6 mount can handle a pay load of 25kg (50ibs +), can any say what sort of payload a EQ5 Manual mount can take.

As I am thinking of buying a smaller scope to ride piggy back on a Skywatcher 6" Refractor.

Thanks for any help.

Ken
Read more : Skywatcher EQ5 Mount | Views : 151 | Replies : 1

Evidence of a Multiverse?

I wonder if these two pieces of research are related and whether it could be evidence of a multiverse.

1. Recent studies have shown that our universe may be expanding faster in some directions than in others, leading to a smartie or M&M shaped universe.

2. Research done at Princeton University has shown that smarties/M&Ms shapes will pack more densely than any other shape into a given volume. Click here for details.

I'm not ...
Read more : Evidence of a Multiverse? | Views : 363 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 128114 • Total topics 19163 • Total members 139535