It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:33 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

What got and keeps you interested?

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about how I got interested in astronomy, and decided it might make for good conversation if we were all to share our experiences. So, what got everyone else interested? Are there any particular areas that interest you more than others? Feel free to elaborate on any different experiences, future plans or anything related really. :)

I can’t remember when exactly I first got interested in astronomy, but it must have ...
Read more : What got and keeps you interested? | Views : 1212 | Replies : 20

Catadioptrics vs reflectors, what can you expect?

If I were to buy a 10 inch catadioptric and compare the image quality to a 10 inch reflector which scope would give me the brightest and most detailed visuals?

What's nice about catadioptrics is they are compact and easier to transport, but does this mean that the internal mirrors they use to compress the space down makes the image degraded when compared to an equally sized newtonian reflector's mirror?

Read more : Catadioptrics vs reflectors, what can you expect? | Views : 821 | Replies : 3

Sky Chart or Planisphere

Hi Gang,
I just wondered which of the above do you prefer to use or do you use acombination of both?
I plan my observation night using a chart like the sky chart in S@N and then take my planisphere out with me. It's handy especially when you are starting off in the hobby to know what's about to appear over the horizon.
Does anyone else use a planisphere?
John jsc248.
Read more : Sky Chart or Planisphere | Views : 385 | Replies : 6

cables

Cables

Hi to all and that is 500 + i think, right to get to my Problem
i have an LX 90 and Laptop and Philips To U Cam Pro and i am
having Tremendous aggro with the connecting cables so i can
work in doors as you do, but the cables seem to work about three or four
times then they seem to develop a problem as no Communication with the
Laptop, i ...
Read more : cables | Views : 766 | Replies : 9

Yipee

Crystal clear and as dark as it gets here.

I'm going out right now for a good gawp at Saturn.
I might come back later and tell you all about it.

Read more : Yipee | Views : 359 | Replies : 5

filters for binoculars?

Hi all,
I have a nice pair of Nikon 10x50s and was wondering if filters where available for binoculars too? I think it would be a nice idea, any thoughts?

Si
Read more : filters for binoculars? | Views : 113 | Replies : 1

Sky at night TV

Does anyone know when January and febs edition will be online?

Si
Read more : Sky at night TV | Views : 236 | Replies : 3

Good News

I've just worked out that the Forum has gained 33 new members in the last five days.

Long may the trend continue!!!
Read more : Good News | Views : 178 | Replies : 3

Using 5.5 inch reflector, any colourful nebula out there and nice spiral shaped galaxies?

I recently got into amateur astronomy and was all excited about seeing what was up there. I got over excited with all the wonderful pictures your see in books expecting to see fantastic coloured nebula and spiral galaxies.

I first looked at Saturn with a small 5.5 inch Skywatcher reflector. It was a thrill to see the shape of it I must say but I was slightly disappointed in the fact that it basically looked ...

John's (jsc248) 'thread' "where is everyone" brought about 41 responses from members, telling us where they are located.

However, very few of us actually display this information in our 'Profile'.

Of course some people would rather not display this information, and that is quite understandable.

Can I suggest, that if you are happy with providing your location (as those who repsonded to John's thread), no matter how general, that you include it in your profille. ...
Read more : Location | Views : 585 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 128204 • Total topics 19237 • Total members 140123