It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:59 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

S@N - the virtual Astronomy Society

Hi all.

Whilst my area round here is not exactly sparse for Astronomy Societies (there being MAS and WDAS to name but 2), I find them difficult to get to and invest time in due to time constraints and other commitments (a local Chamber Orchestra which practices Monday evenings).

I couldn't honestly expect my partner to see me b*g off two evenings a week, and with obvious work commitments during the week, late nights are ...
Read more : S@N - the virtual Astronomy Society | Views : 752 | Replies : 13

Water on Enceladus

Saturn’s moon Enceladus may have pockets of liquid water lurking beneath its surface, feeding great jets that spew from the satellite and hinting at the possibility of a habitable environment, researchers said Thursday.

Observations from the Cassini spacecraft currently studying Saturn and its myriad moons shows Enceladus, one of the brightest objects in the Solar System, to be a geologist’s dream, with an active plume spewing water and other material spaceward, as well as ...
Read more : Water on Enceladus | Views : 467 | Replies : 8

All Tangled Up!!!!!

I have a question, if anyone can answer please, re my Meade DS2114.

When using the GOTO / motor drive, does the scope continuously revolve upto, and in excess of 360degrees? (If so, there is the potential for the handset lead to become wrapped around the tripod unless you actually circle the moving scope at the same rate as the motor drive, with the handset in your hand.)

And, a quick change of subject - ...
Read more : All Tangled Up!!!!! | Views : 166 | Replies : 2

A few weeks ago I saw an advert for a Meade ETX DVD / CD Rom trainer that is being bought out in April. I cannot find the advert now! Anyone out there seen the advert and can let me know who the supplier is?
Read more : ETX TUTORIAL DVD / CDROM | Views : 338 | Replies : 5

protective cover for scope

I haven't got a scope yet (soon!) but am thinking ahead. My motorbike cover is waterproof but breathable, infact it dries out under the cover.

What do scope owners cover their scopes with, for example when leaving scope to cool down but avoiding dew, or if beloved instrument is kept in a dome/shed in the cold?

Read more : protective cover for scope | Views : 890 | Replies : 12

Vixen GP motor

Is anyone aware of any diy information to make a motor drive for a Vixen GP mount?
Read more : Vixen GP motor | Views : 180 | Replies : 1

How do we know how far are the stars ?

Hi fellow Astronomer,

Earlier I had posted a thread regarding "Light Years : How long ? How far ?". I now have a technical query and would like to know if anyone know the answer for this.

How do we know that we are so far away from the stars ? For example, how do we know that Sirius is 8.6 light years away ? Does anyone know how scientists have calculated distances between objects ...
Read more : How do we know how far are the stars ? | Views : 397 | Replies : 6

Collimation tools

Does anyone recomend any sort of collimation tool for a newtonian?
Read more : Collimation tools | Views : 276 | Replies : 4

How to say Beetle Juice

Can someone provide a solution to my problem. I am currently arguing with my wife upon the correct pronunciation of the star it as she insists "Beetle Juice".. I really really hope this ISNT the case..!!!
Read more : How to say Beetle Juice | Views : 1352 | Replies : 26

Hutech Modified Canon DSLR

Has anyone had any experience with the Hutech modified Canon Eos 350d,
if so which of the two options would be best, the clear rear filter or the type 1 rear filter modification, or, is the outlay not worth it compared to the results you can get with the bog standard 350d.
Read more : Hutech Modified Canon DSLR | Views : 169 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Total posts 128502 • Total topics 19372 • Total members 140994