It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:44 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

anyone out there in Cornwall......

I recently received my first scope as a xmas present. Its a 70mm refractor on an equatorial mount.
The assembly looks a daunting task, and I wondered if someone could give me a hand to assemble it?
I can pay for the time and expenses.
I live in Penzance.
Many thanks, Peter
Read more : anyone out there in Cornwall...... | Views : 895 | Replies : 0

Observatory Humididty/Condensation

Hi All,

Happy Christmas!

I'm just having an observatory installed. I am concerned about humidity/condensation. I can measure humidity and currently I keep my telescopes at between 50% to 70%. Are these reasable figures?

What dehumidifiers are used by of people, are there any models that people already use or can commend. Perhaps the concensus is not to bother?

Any help out there?

All the best

Simon
Read more : Observatory Humididty/Condensation | Views : 2732 | Replies : 5

Stargazing in the big City

Hi Folks.Im vey new to Astronomy and wonder where can you go in London to gaze at the heavens as where I live (clapham South London) is very light polluted.Ive just bought myself a new meade and im dying to get started-thanks
Read more : Stargazing in the big City | Views : 1546 | Replies : 5

March 29 2006

Does anyone know of a site where they are doing fairly cheap trips for next year's total eclipse?
Read more : March 29 2006 | Views : 1132 | Replies : 1

Ursids Tonight

Hey is any one going to observe the Ursids which peak tonight? Im going to start my annual watch as soon as the clouds clear. Im packed and ready to go. Good luck all
Read more : Ursids Tonight | Views : 1229 | Replies : 2

Age of the universe...

I understood the age of the universe to be 13.7 billion years old. I have heard however that the hubble constant is being reviewed following the discovery of galaxies and stars older than this.

Can anyone confirm this?

thanks all!
Read more : Age of the universe... | Views : 1201 | Replies : 2

Proposed Observing Club

Hi all out there. I am at present a lone observer in Fife, Scotland. I would like to hear from like minded folks, with a view to forming a loose club for mainly observing, (at least to start with). The problem I have at home is severe light pollution.

If any one out there has some interest let me know.
Read more : Proposed Observing Club | Views : 1840 | Replies : 4

So how do you 'view' the sky?

I thought it would be interesting to get an idea on how members here 'view' the sky. By that I mean are you a tradionalist & view the sky using an eyepiece - or do you tend to view the sky 'electronically' using a laptop & so on.

I'm definitely a tradionalist & use an eyepiece. But that is only because I still use film & using the eyepice helps to centre the DSO without ...
Read more : So how do you 'view' the sky? | Views : 1664 | Replies : 6

Sky at Night Excellent - Space Cadets stupid

Thank goodness the BBC has a real astronomy programme and has made many other good astronomy and other space programmes. The offereing from channel 4 of a reality TV show which fools people into thinking they are going into space is really scraping the barrel. Sky at Night encourages those who might want to enter astronomy, engineering, science, and space science. That channel 4 Space Cadet program is a cruel hoax. It's also a sad ...
Read more : Sky at Night Excellent - Space Cadets stupid | Views : 1634 | Replies : 4

What software are you using?

Hi Gang,
I was just wondering what software you are using and which do you recommend. I am using Starry Night Pro v.5 and find it the most informative I've used up to date. In the past I've used Redshift 5, Skymap Pro and most of the freeware available for download. Does anyone out there have any opinions or recommendations that they can suggest? I'd like to hear your opinions.
Co-incidentally as a foot-note I'd ...
Read more : What software are you using? | Views : 2890 | Replies : 10

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 131770 • Total topics 20198 • Total members 145486