It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:07 pm

News News of Ask a silly (astronomy) question

Site map of Ask a silly (astronomy) question » Forum : Ask a silly (astronomy) question

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Buying a telescope

hi, i've been thinking of buying this telscope for a long time: Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ-MD (i'm begginer) ,would it be good for moon/ planet watch? and for some nebulae & galaxies (or maybe some clusters) ? thanks for reply!
Read more : Buying a telescope | Views : 1548 | Replies : 3

question about Betelgeuse

Does anybody have any idea when it will go Supernova?

Charms
Read more : question about Betelgeuse | Views : 7046 | Replies : 25

Winter draws on!

Now that winter is coming, has anyone any advice about warm clothing?
i.e, Coats that you have that you would never part with, boots that keep your feet snug and warm.
I've found that the best viewing is done on those cold, crisp, clear nights but I'm getting on a bit now (63) and tend to feel the cold a lot more than I used to!

Cheers, Layor
Read more : Winter draws on! | Views : 16813 | Replies : 8

telescope stuff

hello, i am wondering about buying a telescope :) its name is Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ-MD ... what do you think? is it good/ok for begginers? +what accesories should i buy? should i buy a suitcase for eyepieces or stuff like this? maybe some filters or... something else? i dont know what to buy exepct a telescope :D i am a begginer. please replay :) thanks
Read more : telescope stuff | Views : 2205 | Replies : 6

Lens upgrade

I have recently purchased my first telescope, Skywatcher Explorer-130 and have found Jupiter in the southern sky. The lenses that came with the scope are good enough to view a bar or two of the gas giant and 4 of it's moons. I would love to upgrade to gain even better clarity and even a glimpse of Saturn. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Read more : Lens upgrade | Views : 5643 | Replies : 19

Ghost Moon?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2010/10/25/ghost-moon/

Does anybody know what this could be?

Charms
Read more : Ghost Moon? | Views : 2238 | Replies : 6

Mirror cleaning

I have just bought a second hand 150p on ebay.
The mirror seems to have some dust and tiny smears on it.
How to go about cleaning it ?
Read more : Mirror cleaning | Views : 2023 | Replies : 5

Reflector Tube Caps

Heres a silly one.....
Why does the end cap on a reflector have a smaller removable cap on it??

Is it to limit light on very bright objects (Sun/Moon) or is it something to do with dew??

Answers on a postcard please. Thanks
Read more : Reflector Tube Caps | Views : 4401 | Replies : 9

Image Stabilized Binoculars

Hello Everyone! I am new to the community as well as to the hobby. Started this Feb and I see that this will be the hobby for life.

As demonstrated in my signature, I have a few pair of binoculars and one telescope. While I certainly enjoy the telescope, I really prefer binoculars for their convienence and portability as well as the field of view.

Of course, the shakes are an accepted nuisance while using ...
Read more : Image Stabilized Binoculars | Views : 1500 | Replies : 1

Solar Observations

Hi everyone,

I have a Skywatcher Mak 127 AZ Goto and have been happily exploring the night sky with it. But I have just bought a solar filter and was wondering how do you align your telescope so it tracks the sun? It seems to have a solar tracking mode in the menu on the handset, but I cannot find how to track the sun, after all you cannot align it against 2 stars at ...
Read more : Solar Observations | Views : 1314 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 132347 • Total topics 20349 • Total members 146793