It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:30 am

News News of Ask a silly (astronomy) question

Site map of Ask a silly (astronomy) question » Forum : Ask a silly (astronomy) question

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

White Jupiter

Hi all, good day to you.

Newby question. I have Helios 6 inch reflector. When I point it at Jupiter which is bright in the night sky at the moment all I see is a white disc with the smaller white moons around it. Question is should I be seeing some of the detail on the planet eg the coloured stripes or even the spot? I have used various sizes of eye piece from 5mm ...
Read more : White Jupiter | Views : 1992 | Replies : 4

Beginner/Telescope/observation of the moon

hi there,

ive wanted to buy a telescope for a long while now and ive a budget of 750 for this.

ive been watching some youtube videos of close ups of the moon- something im very interested in. What equipt would i need for fotos and video imaging? im a novice in all areas so forgive me if im already getting on your nerves!

was looking at a nex star 6 for the scope, but ...
Read more : Beginner/Telescope/observation of the moon | Views : 962 | Replies : 1

Expanding Universe

Ok here is my question(s):-
We observe that the universe is expanding by checking the red shift on the most distant object we can find. These objects are million/billions of light years away and therefor million/billions of years old, so the redshift that we are looking at is extreamly old. How do we know that the object (or the objects that have since been made of it's embers) are still moving at that same approximate ...
Read more : Expanding Universe | Views : 3164 | Replies : 11

New Telescope for Beginner

Hi,

I slightly confused about what telescope to get , my budget is around £700, does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Mandip
Read more : New Telescope for Beginner | Views : 1816 | Replies : 5

tasco telescopes

Hi all
I know this question is so silly but this is what this part of the fourm is for.
I have heard a lot people say that tasco telescopes are bad and should not
be brought I am not sure.

thanks
Read more : tasco telescopes | Views : 15112 | Replies : 9

NOVICE ASTRONOMER

HELLO THERE I HAVE A SKYWATCHER 150PL SCOP WITH A EQ3 MOUNT I HAVE SET IT UP AND I THINK I GOT THE BALANCE RIGHT
BUT THATS ABOUT IT I HAVE MANAGED TO HAVE SUM GREAT VIEWS OF THE MOON AND OTHER PLANETS BUT THATS MY LIMIT I WAS WONDERING IF ENYONE KNOWS OF ENY ASTRO CLUBS IN MY AREA THE FOREST OF DEAN THAT COULD HELP ME OUT WITH ALL THE SETINGS ON IT ...
Read more : NOVICE ASTRONOMER | Views : 1934 | Replies : 6

Questions from another newby

Hi everybody. Well, the other night I took a look at Jupiter through my 20 year old Jessops 20x refractor, yes the one with the drooping tubes and the loose focussing ring-and , with the scope mounted on my camera tripod,was lucky enough to be able to see Him, fringed with red and blue, and four of His moons. Wow, I thought, if I can see this much through my grotty old scope what ...
Read more : Questions from another newby | Views : 3089 | Replies : 11

Buying A New Telescope

Hi there at the moment I have a Meade ETX 80 telescope and a DSI camera and also a NEXTIMAGE camera with a selection of software. What I would like to know what is the best next telescope to go for - which will allow me to see the planets alot better with and without cams and to see maybe star clusters better and more detail of the nite sky......
Read more : Buying A New Telescope | Views : 4163 | Replies : 16

POWER

any one got any good ideas of power suplies for my scope ive got a sky watcher power pack but ive read some bad things about the batteries in them and i want more run time. ive got a meade lxd75 10 inch with electronic focuser
Read more : POWER | Views : 2358 | Replies : 9

Perseids - and other objects

Hi - My first post here - hope you can help.

Whilst gazing for an hour or so this evening watching for Perseids (I saw 2 or 3) I also observed several other moving objects which I cannot identify.

I used 12x50 binos to track at least 3 moving objects, and observed at least 3 more with eyeballs.
They lasted 10 -15 s so I assume were not meteorites.
They all faded out after this ...
Read more : Perseids - and other objects | Views : 1660 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 131792 • Total topics 20204 • Total members 145514