It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:51 pm

News News of Ask a silly (astronomy) question

Site map of Ask a silly (astronomy) question » Forum : Ask a silly (astronomy) question

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Setting up an equatorial mount

I am building a shed/observatory for my scope and equatorial mount. It will give great views of most of the sky but unfortunately a large pine tree blocks out Polaris! As I cannot move the position of the shed, is there any way I can align the mount/scope accurately without having direct sighting to Polaris?
Read more : Setting up an equatorial mount | Views : 1921 | Replies : 7

Life is not special?

Hi all

In our Solar System we have at least three planets and a few moons that have, or could have, or at least had the potential to support life at some point in their history or future! Can anyone really believe that life doesn't exist elsewhere? ...... Are we really that special? and if so .... Why?
Read more : Life is not special? | Views : 2585 | Replies : 12

Strange satellite formation?

Not strictly an astronomical sighting, but this one got me baffled.

Last Saturday night, (3rd July), my wife and I were sitting outside our motorhome at a campsite just outside Banbury. I'm guessing around 11.30pm to 12.00 midnight approx.

Probably around a half hour or so earlier, we'd spotted the ISS tailing off towards a south-easterly direction. Nothing unusal in that but then I saw 2 points of light coming over the south western horizon, ...
Read more : Strange satellite formation? | Views : 1674 | Replies : 6

Size of the Universe

How can we be sure that the universe can be bigger than 13.7 billion light years? Also, do the meanings of radius and diameter apply when we're probably talking in at least 4 dimensions, if not 11.
Read more : Size of the Universe | Views : 4984 | Replies : 26

saturn with the naked eye

If we could see the Saturn the same distance as the moon from the earth, then how big would it look in the sky?
Read more : saturn with the naked eye | Views : 2647 | Replies : 11

local astronomer needed

Hi all
Is there any astronmers that live local to walton on the naze if you do would you want to help a beginner astronmer get on his way

thanks could you get back to me as soon as possible

If you would like more info or ask me anything please write to my email benwizz2@aol.com
Read more : local astronomer needed | Views : 907 | Replies : 0

Ask a Silly Question

Some of the most spectacular discoveries have come from asking silly questions. Isaac Newton asked himself why apples fell out of trees. Olbers asked an equally silly question: "Why is it dark at night?" This sounds like an elementary school question with an obvious answer – it is dark when the Sun goes below the horizon and its light is blocked by the Earth. However, Olbers looked at this a little bit more carefully and ...
Read more : Ask a Silly Question | Views : 757 | Replies : 0

Chosen by Asker

AutoCAD is a good 2D drafting package. If you're going to learn to use a 3D package (Inventor, Solidworks, Pro-E, etc...) you need to learn the basics first.
I've used both 2D and 3D platforms in both work and school for the past 3 years, and I can say that you really need both of them. AutoCAD comes in handy when you need to do a layout of a mechanism, whether it be matching bolt ...
Read more : Chosen by Asker | Views : 996 | Replies : 0

Silly question of the day

I wonder if would be possible to see the flag on the moon?  Would it feasibly possible to take such an image with a very powerful telescope?  Could NASA silence the conspriacy theorists that say we never went to the moon by taken an image of the flag with Hubble?
Read more : Silly question of the day | Views : 3978 | Replies : 18

Planet Alignment

My reason for this question is purely because it makes me wonder what will happen when the Milky Way in directly in the middle of us......some say nothing will happen some say something will others say it's got something to do with 2012 (which i think is silly) I just find it intriging and exciting I know the last time this happened none of us would have been around but maybe someone out there has ...
Read more : Planet Alignment | Views : 2470 | Replies : 8

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 131261 • Total topics 20031 • Total members 144630