It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:35 pm

News News of Ask a silly (astronomy) question

Site map of Ask a silly (astronomy) question » Forum : Ask a silly (astronomy) question

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

POWER

any one got any good ideas of power suplies for my scope ive got a sky watcher power pack but ive read some bad things about the batteries in them and i want more run time. ive got a meade lxd75 10 inch with electronic focuser
Read more : POWER | Views : 2427 | Replies : 9

Perseids - and other objects

Hi - My first post here - hope you can help.

Whilst gazing for an hour or so this evening watching for Perseids (I saw 2 or 3) I also observed several other moving objects which I cannot identify.

I used 12x50 binos to track at least 3 moving objects, and observed at least 3 more with eyeballs.
They lasted 10 -15 s so I assume were not meteorites.
They all faded out after this ...
Read more : Perseids - and other objects | Views : 1745 | Replies : 4

Conversion of HIP numbers to SAO numbers - help!

I use Stellarium on my PC to orientate the night sky, and for star hopping - in this software package all the stars are given HIP numbers. However, my Celestron uses Nexstar which wants an SAO number entered to find a star. So at the moment, other than for the more common/brightest stars (which are listed under Nexstar), I cannot instruct guide my telescope to go to other stars that I find on Stellarium since ...
Read more : Conversion of HIP numbers to SAO numbers - help! | Views : 1337 | Replies : 0

Advice on best dew control system please

At last we had a clear night in SW, which offered a great night of viewing - but the tempertaure dropped a lot by midnight and I had non-stop problems with dew. It really hampered the viewing, I had to keep continously gently wipe the eyepiece with soft tissue. I have a large dew shield on the end of the scope (Celestron CPC800) and this seemed to work fine, but the eyepiece was the problem ...
Read more : Advice on best dew control system please | Views : 1199 | Replies : 2

Dark Matter

From my limited understanding of what makes light, it appears that light is both a wave and a particle; if this is so then I would imagine that all these particles of light have a mass. When all this mass of light particles is added together, over a vast amount of time, this must amount to a substantial weight (mass).

Ironically, one of the reasons that light may appear as Dark Matter is because only ...
Read more : Dark Matter | Views : 4146 | Replies : 15

Newbie imaging question

A complete newcomer.
From what I have read in various publications and on the web, the eyepiece supplies the magnification.
What happens when you connect a dslr or ccd web cam direct to the telescope (minus the eyepiece)? Niether the dslr or webcam have len's and the telescope has no eyepiece, so where does the magnification come from? Apologies if this is a stupid question and I have missed something out by the way.
Cheers ...
Read more : Newbie imaging question | Views : 2677 | Replies : 6

8- > 10 or 8 -> 12?

Do you think it is worth going from an 8" to a 10" reflector. I know that going from the 130p to the 200p was an awsome leap in visual terms and im wondering if going fro 200 to 250 would be a similar leap in viual capability.

Or should I go from 8" to 12"?

Read more : 8- > 10 or 8 -> 12? | Views : 2514 | Replies : 9

new telescope

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased by first scope 2nd hand a skywatcher 1145pm. Now I am rather clueless and the instructions are typical chinese so mean nothing to me and they also apply to more than 1 model.

Im not convinved that the mount dials are setup correctly, in the correct positions.

So currently doing the point and shoot method!

Although I'm yet to see anything but dots!

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Read more : new telescope | Views : 1912 | Replies : 5

Strange Lights

I looked out of my landing window tonight and i see 3 very bright looking lights in the sky they were in the East. They where kinda Orange in colour and in a line.......has anybody got any idea what they could have been? I couldn't take pictures i have no digi cam,

Emma
Read more : Strange Lights | Views : 3554 | Replies : 12

Mass/Density

Does a black hole/singularity have an infinite mass/density?....
was thinking that if so , then only one black hole with an infinitely dense singularity(infinite mass) would alone account for all dark matter/energy by itself by nature of this infinite density/mass , never mind all the other black holes that exist supermassive or not..the dark matter/energy that is being speculated upon seems to have a finite figure/quantity even if it is 90 odd percent more than ...
Read more : Mass/Density | Views : 1694 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 131874 • Total topics 20221 • Total members 145717