It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:11 am

News News of Your astro observations, images & sketches

Site map of Your astro observations, images & sketches » Forum : Your astro observations, images & sketches

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Meteor Shower Quadrantids

Has anyone seen this meteor shower yet.Skys have been really clouded lateley so was wondering what the best time of night to look for this.
Read more : Meteor Shower Quadrantids | Views : 667 | Replies : 0

Small 1/4 moon shaped object

Strange request, anyone have any ideas what I'm looking at... its very interesting to say the least ?
It appears like a 1/4 moon but only about1mm size in a 7mm eyepeice on a 70mm refractor.
Its roughly setting in the south east almost at the horizon (Well the roofs of the houses)
I'm near upminster in essex uk

Gaz n Maz
Read more : Small 1/4 moon shaped object | Views : 1311 | Replies : 5

Lunar eclipse predictions

Does anyone know when the next total lunar eclsipse visible from the UK is?
Read more : Lunar eclipse predictions | Views : 900 | Replies : 1

An encounter with Mars

Mars in December. My only decent image this year. 12 GPS and ToUcam Pro
Read more : An encounter with Mars | Views : 866 | Replies : 1

Saturn rises - 17/12/2005

Well here are my first semi-decent pictures of Saturn for this season. Seeing conditions were not great and focusing was rather hit and miss. Still, it's amazing what Registax can do to an AVI file!
Read more : Saturn rises - 17/12/2005 | Views : 894 | Replies : 2

Mars at its closest

November was the month when Mars came to its closest to Earth! Did anyone get any Pictures?

Mine didnt come out too well.
Read more : Mars at its closest | Views : 1631 | Replies : 6

Favourite constellation

Out of the 88 constellations up there (many of which are not visible from the UK, of course), do you have a favourite.............and why?

Probably at the top of the list will come Orion. And had we been living in the southern hemisphere, no doubt Scorpius & Sagittarius would be near the top of the list. However my vote goes to Cygnus, the Swan. This constellation has majestic star fields which can even look impressive ...
Read more : Favourite constellation | Views : 3210 | Replies : 15

The Ring Vs The Dumbell

I started this debate on another forum as to which looked most impressive through the scope.............the tiny celestial smoke ring, M57 - or the Dumbell nebula, M27. Opinions were mixed.

So which looks most impressive? My vote goes to the Dumbell. To me it just seems a good bit bigger & brighter than the Ring. It is also easier, in my view, to image as it has a nice bright guide star in view which, ...
Read more : The Ring Vs The Dumbell | Views : 909 | Replies : 3

So what is everyone's favourite deep sky object?

I'm lucky enough to own an 11" SCT which is just as well, as I live in the light polluted city of Oxford.

Although the likes of M42 looks impressive, my vote goes to M17, the Swan nebula, in Sagittarius. Although low down as seen from the UK, this object really resembles its name when viewed through a telescope on a clear & transparent night. Here's an image I took of it with my film ...
Read more : So what is everyone's favourite deep sky object? | Views : 2664 | Replies : 14

Venusian shadow

In case it's of interest, I managed to image the faint shadow cast by the planet Venus last weekend. I've put up a page describing the project here...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/Venus/shadow-of-venus.html
Read more : Venusian shadow | Views : 1464 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 131013 • Total topics 19933 • Total members 144166