It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:27 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Should Pluto still be classed as a planet?

I've started this debate on several forums & thought it may be an idea to start one here, following on from Patrick Moore's article in the February issue of S@N & the feedback in 'Inbox' of the March edition.

I'll shove my 2c in the pot to begin with by saying that we should leave well alone. I was brought up from childhood believing there were 9 planets out there - although the one at ...
Read more : Should Pluto still be classed as a planet? | Views : 6976 | Replies : 27

Astronomy in School

Here's a random point..I can't remember learning anything about Astronomy in school, other than the names of the planets perhaps..
Is this a common experience, or have my teachers been particularly uninspiring/crap? Surely children would benifit greatly, from the diverse skills required in learning about the subject, not just in maths but English and science geography...it seems the perfect subject to tie all the things kids learn in school together....apart from French...and cookery...
Read more : Astronomy in School | Views : 7296 | Replies : 29

Shape of the Universe

Regarding February's topic "shape of the universe".

For something to have 'shape' there must be a point where the shape ends ie a boundary. There is inside the boundary and outside the boundary. The universe (which encompasses everything) has a shape and is inside the boundary, which in turn is enveloped by the outside. But if the outside doesn't exist (because everything that does exist is in the universe within the boundary), there can be ...
Read more : Shape of the Universe | Views : 2636 | Replies : 9

Yes, I too am after issues 1,2,3...

Anyone able to help? I am happy to pay a good price for them too!
Read more : Yes, I too am after issues 1,2,3... | Views : 2180 | Replies : 8

New Monthly Sky Chart

Hi all,

Any thoughts on the new format of the Monthly Sky Chart?

I am in favour of the improvements:

1. Expanded topic sections - easier to turn back and forth with the chart, more detail and info can be fitted in

2. Larger chart itself - now takes up a whole page making the detail easier to see

3. Non pull out - Here I would like to throw open to others. Plus points ...
Read more : New Monthly Sky Chart | Views : 2414 | Replies : 8

Magazine Binders and CD-ROM Holder

Hi,

Did anyone else order the Sky at Night Magazine binder and CD-ROM holder? I ordered mine at the beginning of the year, have had the money taken from mt bank account as expected, but still no binder as yet.

Has anyone else experienced similar difficulties?

Thanks.

Andrew
Read more : Magazine Binders and CD-ROM Holder | Views : 3585 | Replies : 7

March !!

Hurrah - March issue just dropped on the mat - bye!
Read more : March !! | Views : 1502 | Replies : 3

Issues 1,2 & 3

Hi Gang,
Alshah was just lucky enough to be offered the first three issues of S@N. I would like to ask whether there is any one elase out there who can offer the same three issues for sale. If so please let me know and how much you would like for them.
Thanks
jsc248.
Read more : Issues 1,2 & 3 | Views : 1955 | Replies : 6

Back Issues - Desperate to find Issue 1, 2 and 3

Hi, I discovered this series very late and was able to get some back issue to make the set but am missing Issues 1, 2 and 3 - is anyone willing to sell these issues please?
Read more : Back Issues - Desperate to find Issue 1, 2 and 3 | Views : 1531 | Replies : 3

Yorkshire Astronomers

Whoops this should have gone into Astro Talk !!

Hi to you all.
I was just wondering if there are any Yorkshire Astonomers out there who would like the idea of finding a 'dark sky site', somewhere between say Leeds, Skipton and Harrogate. That could be used on a regular (nightly) basis, somewhere we nocturnal dwelling humans can meet make friends and share information, and enjoy some clear nights then drop onto the forum with ...
Read more : Yorkshire Astronomers | Views : 2309 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 131888 • Total topics 20225 • Total members 145728