It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:44 am

News News of Introductions

Site map of Introductions » Forum : Introductions

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

The happy demise of a "serious" amateur astronomer

I suppose I ought to take the opportunity:

Been observing on and off for 45 years or so. Started off NE, then small bins, about 20 yrs ago I wanted a scope so I made one, then made all my own scopes, then about 6 yrs ago I bought one. Things escalated.

A few years ago I was getting seriously high tech -- everything getting computerised, etc. -- and getting very serious about making "useful" ...
Read more : The happy demise of a "serious" amateur astronomer | Views : 1870 | Replies : 5

Hi & welcome to all the 'newbies'

Hi and welcome to all the 'newbies' who have joined the forum over the past couple of weeks or so.

Everyone is quite correct in saying that we're quite a freindly bunch, and that the more experienced skywatchers always seem ready & willing to offer to us novices the benefit of that experience with their opinions and advice.

And how exiciting to join this forum at such an early stage and whilst it is still ...
Read more : Hi & welcome to all the 'newbies' | Views : 1891 | Replies : 4

Hello from Scotland.

Hello All,
My name is Rick and I'm from Inverness,Scotland.Reasonably new to viewing the skies. I have a Skywatcher MAC 127- EQ3-2 (retirement gift)of which I am still trying to get to grips with.
I have recently taken early retirement from the Ambulance Service,interested in :- Astronomy,Fishing, DIYand computers.
Regards,
Rick D.
Read more : Hello from Scotland. | Views : 2516 | Replies : 8

Newbie from up North

Hello from Northumbria

I've always been interested in the stars being brought up miles from civilization in rural Suffolk, they have always been there!

It's only since my wife has been ill and we have taken early retirement that I've had the time to pursue this one of my hobbies.

I recently bought a Konus 130 motor-max and turning it to the heavens found out there is a lot more up there than I could ...
Read more : Newbie from up North | Views : 1891 | Replies : 6

Proff mcgoff signing in!!

Hey all just to say that i recevied my subscription and after reading the jan issue 3 hours had past "happy days".

Can't wait for the coming year all thing's in the night sky.

And who know's maybe get a telescope that i can use proper and not take most of the night to set up< is a total noob, but hey that's why i'm here to learn.

Over and out.

p.s quality magazine by ...
Read more : Proff mcgoff signing in!! | Views : 1425 | Replies : 4

Hi All

My name is Darren and I live just outside of Bedford. My views are mainly N to SE (just!) and hopefully a bit more West come Spring.

I'm interested in all aspects of astronomy from visual observing, imaging and am trying to start variable star estimations as well.

Cheers

Daz

P.S. Hi to Starman and Big Dipper :D
Read more : Hi All | Views : 1759 | Replies : 4

TonyS say Hi

Hi
I still haven't got a telescope, I use my 10x50 binoculars.
Living in town means light pollution I cannot escape from. So if anyone use a portable telescope costing no more than £400 they can recommend I would be grateful. Let me know how long it takes to set up and ease of use.
Read more : TonyS say Hi | Views : 1134 | Replies : 2

Project Galileo

Hi

I've just stumbled across the Sky at Night Forum, and thought it might be good to join.

A bit of background information:
I teach Physics at Clifton College in Bristol, and run an astronomy project for schools, called Project Galileo.

When I was a teenager, my dad built a telescope & observatory in our back garden - both of us got interested in astronomy as a result of watching the Sy at Night programmes, ...
Read more : Project Galileo | Views : 1888 | Replies : 5

Hello all

...from Grantham linc's.
I have a Helios 130mm newt on an eq2 ra driven mount+just got the etx80.(still playing around with this at the mo).
I've only been serious about viewing for the last 6 month's so still on the uphill learning curve.
Clear skies all Mick.
Read more : Hello all | Views : 2442 | Replies : 4

new to the site from lincoln UK

Hi ladies and Gents, jst joined the site and would like to say hello to all.
if theres anyone from my neck of the woods please say hello.

have been into astronomy since Nov 05, my first scope was a skywatcher 114mm and then quickly got hooked and went a bit bigger with the skywatcher 200 with HEQ5 mount and skyscan goto upgrade, i haven't yet managed to polar align it as it's always too ...
Read more : new to the site from lincoln UK | Views : 3048 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 131699 • Total topics 20166 • Total members 145315