March S&N Magazine

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

March S&N Magazine

Postby cookie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:53 pm

I must congratulate editors and other staff for the brilliant new layout of the magazine. I do my observing mostly at the early part of the night and having the sky chart from 7:30 - 8:30 etc., gives me a better understanding of what I am looking at without having to go indoors to check Heavens-above on the PC and spoiling my night vision. Thank you.
Would it be possible to continue this very useful layout? Great Magazine I must say.
cookie

RE: March S&N Magazine

Postby Graham Southorn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks for your kind comments - so glad you enjoyed the magazine.

Regarding the sky charts, I think you are referring to our 'Observing Challenge' feature. This is something we do from time to time - giving a range of objects that you can see in one night. That's why the times are given - they are specific to the particular chart.

So while we won't be doing an Observing Challenge every month, the main star chart in the middle of the magazine is pretty accurate for most of the night, although perhaps not very early evening. It's planets that will vary the most, obviously. The Deep Sky Tour should be visible any time.
Graham Southorn

Postby lukeskywatcher » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 am

It's now almost the 4th March and i STILL have not recieved my March issue of S@N which went on general sale on 23rd Feb.

LATE delivery to Ireland has really been a problem for the last 3 yrs with me (although in the last 6 months it has been better).

Why is it some people in the UK/Ireland get their copy 2 weeks before it even goes on general sale?

I am not a complainer by nature but i am very peeved off when i see S@N on sale in my local store 2-3 weeks before i get my copy of it via post (having paid for 12 months subscription upfront) .

I honestly do not think i will renew my subscription after it runs out (i'd really like to cancel it now). There are plenty of other astronomy mags available to me in my local store.

I post this to make an example. I dont want to privately email S@N to complain.

lukeskywatcher

Postby Graham Southorn » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:43 am

Sorry to hear that your subscription copy has again turned up late. I believe this is probably because you live in Ireland and, Royal Mail classes Ireland as "overseas" compared to the rest of the British Isles. That probably explains why it takes longer to reach you.

However, if you would like to send us your address and subscription number (send me a PM or an email), we will be more than happy to look into the problem to see if we can resolve it. Without those, I'm afraid we can do nothing to help you further. It may be that this issue is outside our control, being due to Royal Mail. But we will certainly do what we can to help.

Best regards,

Graham
Graham Southorn

Postby cookie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi.
I see what you mean. I only glanced at the magazine, but now that I read it I get the purpose of it for this month. Nevertheless great edition.
cookie

Return to General