Switch to mobile style

Markarians Chain

Markarians Chain

Postby Karlax » Sun May 20, 2018 12:36 pm

final2_DxO_DxO.jpg
final2_DxO_DxO.jpg (481.12 KiB) Viewed 601 times

Across the heart of the Virgo Cluster of Galaxies lies a striking string of galaxies known as Markarian’s Chain. The chain, is highlighted on the bottom left with two large but featureless lenticular galaxies, M84 and M86. Above them just left of centre is a pair of interacting galaxies known as The Eyes. The Virgo Cluster is the nearest cluster of galaxies, and contains over 2000 galaxies, and has a noticeable gravitational pull on the galaxies of the Local Group of Galaxies surrounding our Milky Way Galaxy. The center of the Virgo Cluster is located about 70 million light years away toward the constellation of Virgo. At least seven galaxies in the chain appear to move coherently, although others appear to be superposed by chance.
Of particular note from my light polluted garden is bottom right NGC 4446 and NGC 4447, which are at at staggering 352 and 348 million light years distance respectively.
The annotated 2nd image shows the major galaxies present and the 3rd image shows all galaxies that are present in the imaged section of sky.

Esprit 100ED PRO on EQ6-R PRO
170 x 75 secs unguided edited in Pixinsight
From my light polluted garden, need a dark sky site next winter.
Karlax

Re: Markarians Chain

Postby Aratus » Tue May 22, 2018 2:58 pm

The result of 75 exposures! I congratulate you on your patience. :D It seems to have paid off though - it is a very nice image.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Astro imaging